Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Latest Raves

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Latest Raves

Ok, while galloping through blogland which you all know that I have a serious habit of doing; I have noticed that there are two huge trends that EVERYONE ...well alot of people... are doing.

One is Hexagons. Lot's of hexagons. I don't do a lot of traditional quilting...but since they are sewn by hand I have started one. I am not making the traditional Grandmothers Flower Garden...but I think stripes more or less.

The other is Mug Rugs. They are rectangle and made to hold cookies or your tea bag and spoon on one side of the little mat and your mug on the other. Very cute. Great for gifts.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Latest Raves

Hi Hillbilly,Where did you see this online? I'd like to see more. I'm interested in learning how to quilt by hand also What size needle etc.. I was in a dept store a few weeks ago and fell in love with all of the quilts and the patterns and the hand stitching was so beautiful. I told myself "I can do that" the quilts were selling for 300.00 and up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Latest Raves

I just finished a hand quilting course and the instructor said to use "between" needles by piecemaker and use a size 11 or 12. I had to switch to a size 10 though. I have nails and they were to hard to get ahold of if they were smaller. But she wasn't happy with me for that and said I should lose the nails. lol But I did good with a size 10 and she complimented my stitches. So I guess it's really your preference. I could see not using anything under size 10 though. She also stressed that it's not the amount of stitches per inch but the size of the stitch and how even the size is. She also said there are no quilt police, and as long as it is an even stitch to have fun and enjoy it. The other thing if you are doing a stab stitch method keep your needle going into the fabric at a 90 degree angle. In other word make your stitch go in absolutely straight on. Not at an angle. And you can tell if you don't do it straight on as the stitch will not be straight it will be at an angle. She's right it makes a big difference. She said if you are right handed the right hand should be under the work and you should sew with your left hand and visa versus if you are left handed. It feels awkward at first but you get a rhythm going and it does get easier. I wish everyone could meet this lady as she is fantastic. She has a book coming out next summer. Her name is cheryl Doody. I told her she should do a video as its good to see her do it. My quilting has improved 200%. It looks much better and it's very calming. I love the hand work anyway. There is also a good way to put your piece in a plastic hoop or a German made wooden hoop. The regular wooden hoops break the way she hoops things. When you get done your piece is drum tight. And again it works really good. I can't wait for her book to come out. If you have trouble with arthritis or carpel tunnel her way is the way to go. It's amazing. I hope I haven't confused you too much. You can get the plastic 14" hoops at Joann's. I think they are 20.00 but if you have a coupon for 40 or 50% off it's not so bad. And you need a quilting key to turn your screw on your hoop down. My husband had them made by a fabricator he knows out of stainless steel. You can make them out of copper too and they are cheaper but they will eventually turn green on you and stain your hands, and they will soften up and eventually split. Some people don't care and so have copper ones but we love the stainless steel cause they are lighter to work with and don't turn color and can't split.
    That's my preference though. So now that I have totally confused you I hope this helps.
    Hugs, Jan

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

So is her way the rocking motion with the needle or straight up /down? What is the plastic hoop called (are the hoops just any embroidery hoop)? Are the Q snap frame hoops no good? I'd like to get a stainless steel key not copper. What kind of thread did you use (machine quilting thread)? It sounds like a lot of fun.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jan, what type of batting does she recommend?
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    The other is Mug Rugs. They are rectangle and made to hold cookies or your tea bag and spoon on one side of the little mat and your mug on the other. Very cute. Great for gifts.
    I haven't made any of the mug rugs but have made plenty of regular coaster size. What size are the mug rugs usually? It is hard to tell from the pics that are posted on most blogs.
    Been missing you; know that you have had your hands full!
    Hugs
    Blondie
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a blog that has photos. I can't hang around but will get back to this thread a bit later. This has some fun pics though!!

http://www.pleasant-home.com/2010/11...-mug-rugs.html

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

great link hillbilly.... now i want to try this mug rug thing...