Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Craftsy online course vs youtube tutorials

I got this tip:

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlining View Post
    By the way, there is a Craftsy.com class online for free motion quilting by Leah Day which I just love. She really shows how to make it easy to quilt. Go to craftsy.com/fmqas to get a discount on the class if you are interested. The class is forever and whenever you want to use it.
    I've watched some of Leah Day's youtube videos about FMQ (I definatly need to watch more!). What are the differences between the online course(s) and the youtube videos?

2. Thanks Silverlining thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Craftsy online course vs youtube tutorials

Her youtube videos are fine.... But that being said... The Craftsy class definitely gives more hands-on help and interaction with her personally and with the other members. I learned how to modify my darning foot to free motion quilt with the feed dogs up. Wow, is it ever fun. I never thought I could learn how to do this. You have the class forever. Don't worry.. they are not going out of business probably in my lifetime. They also have free classes for a Block of the Month and others as well. I haven't really watched much of her you tube videos yet. I guess because I really learn more in her class. Right now, I am practicing with some 12" block sandwiches to make a quilt for our dogs to lay on. I'm sure the dogs won't care if I make a mistake in my quilting. Hope this helps. I definitely look forward to reading your posts.
    t

4. Thanks Wwena thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I see it as not limiting myself to just one source. I go to any resource I can get my hands when wanting to learn something new.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wwena View Post
    I got this tip:

I've watched some of Leah Day's youtube videos about FMQ (I definatly need to watch more!). What are the differences between the online course(s) and the youtube videos?
    Som jag ser det så har du i Craftys online kurser tillgång till att fråga henne frågor och du får svar inom 1 - 2 dagar tror jag. Man kan titta på kursen när som helst för man laddar hem den. Skillnaden på kursen och hennes free motion project är väl inte så stor. det är samma saker men kanske mer fokuserade på den sampler quilten som hon visar i kursen. Jag kollar hennes blogg sida och alla videos som hon gör där och tycker det är tillräckligt för mig. Kanske om ett par år när jag blivit bättre så kanske jag köper kursen. För tillfället räcker det så bra som det är.

Hoppas att det blev lite tydligare.

Annika

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

7. Thanks Wwena thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wished I lived in Sweden My family was from Norway

With the Craftsy class you can take notes too. You can stop the video and it saves what you want to remember. Then up at the top you have a folder of some sorts and it brings you right there. No need to keep going back to youtube trying to find it again. I love it!
    Last edited by Hulamoon; January 1st, 2013 at 07:58 PM.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The craftsy classes are excellent, I have most of the free ones in quilting and I purchased both of Jenny's and a few others when on sale....Leah Day's class goes into much more detail when working on an entire quilt vs demoing some fmq stitches!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input guys! And I wouldn't trade Hawaii for Sweden anytime soon lol. My husband is 1/4 Norwegian too!

11. Thanks Silverlining thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish leo View Post
    Som jag ser det så har du i Craftys online kurser tillgång till att fråga henne frågor och du får svar inom 1 - 2 dagar tror jag. Man kan titta på kursen när som helst för man laddar hem den. Skillnaden på kursen och hennes free motion project är väl inte så stor. det är samma saker men kanske mer fokuserade på den sampler quilten som hon visar i kursen. Jag kollar hennes blogg sida och alla videos som hon gör där och tycker det är tillräckligt för mig. Kanske om ett par år när jag blivit bättre så kanske jag köper kursen. För tillfället räcker det så bra som det är.

Hoppas att det blev lite tydligare.

Annika
    The difference to me is that she goes into great detail about how to even begin to FMQ. Thanks for your post.