Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thread

Jo-Ann's is having a 50% off sale on all thread starting Sunday. All the
    options and choices in thread completely confuse me. Im looking for some
    assistance on what I should buy and/or stock up on. Beyond fiber type, I'm very
    confused by the amount of thread on each spool. I see it any where from 200 to
    1500 feet with prices all over the place. Looking at regular prices, how can I
    tell what is a good deal and what may be over priced. I'm sure I missed out on
    some good deals at the Houston show - I just had no clue what to be looking for
    in fiber, size of spool and price. I have a Janome 8900 do i need to consider
    specific threads for my machine. Any guidance about buying thread is greatly
    appreciated. Dawn

P.S. happy new year to everyone!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thread

Never buy Coats & Clark. That came from a repairman and the shop owner. Thread is something I never buy at Joann's.

3. Thanks Stephandgerri thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I've used all kinds of thread and find that for most projects a good all purpose thread works well. Poly or Cotton or blends are sturdy. I really depends on what your machine likes and what you are sewing. My machine hates Sulky which isn't cheap, yet I have nothing but problems with it. Coats n Clark has always worked fine for me. Stay away from the cheapo bins like at Joann's and WalMart. You do get what you pay for. If you're sewing with cotton quilting fabric, the basic all-purpose is fine. For top stitching, something decorative can be pretty, although I'm not so much into any bling. If your sewing silk, or knit you may need a silk or nylon thread.

So, I would say stick with what you know and use a %50 off coupon to try something new.

at About.com there's a whole page devoted to thread: http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa102100a.htm
    May your life be always full, and your bobbins even fuller!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisapc View Post
    Never buy Coats & Clark. That came from a repairman and the shop owner. Thread is something I never buy at Joann's.
    Funny. My repair lady said just the opposite.

I too am confused on what type is best. Has anyone ever tried the thread from Connecting Threads? It does seem to be a good price.

I think your machine also dictates what kind is best.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also use Coats&Clark - Dual Duty, All Purpose - have also used Gutterman all cotton
    No problems with any of it.....
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bkthomas View Post
    I also use Coats&Clark - Dual Duty, All Purpose - have also used Gutterman all cotton
    No problems with any of it.....

Mine, too. For quilting, that is!!! I kind of gauge what project I have going and buy my thread ahead for those projects - usually buy the largest spools available that will complete my project.

I must have 20 different brands of thread because of my embroidery work - but agree with the above when I am quilting.

I do know, also, that many people love the Connecting Threads and others especially like Superior Threads. I would say buy some small spools and try - then make up your own mind.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjfilbeck View Post
    I've used all kinds of thread and find that for most projects a good all purpose thread works well. Poly or Cotton or blends are sturdy. I really depends on what your machine likes and what you are sewing. My machine hates Sulky which isn't cheap, yet I have nothing but problems with it. Coats n Clark has always worked fine for me. Stay away from the cheapo bins like at Joann's and WalMart. You do get what you pay for. If you're sewing with cotton quilting fabric, the basic all-purpose is fine. For top stitching, something decorative can be pretty, although I'm not so much into any bling. If your sewing silk, or knit you may need a silk or nylon thread.

So, I would say stick with what you know and use a %50 off coupon to try something new.

at About.com there's a whole page devoted to thread: http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa102100a.htm
    I am a die hard Coats & Clark user. Worked for my mother and my great aunt so it works for me! I only use the Dual Duty XP though. It is a poly covered poly. I have found the cotton C&C to be really linty and dirties up my machine. And there is no truth to thefable that polyester thread will slice cotton fabrics.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, 2 different machines and two machines that hate Coats and Clark. Mine just like the more expensive stuff I guess.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, since I think I'm one if the only two that mentioned my machine not liking a thread, its Sulky, not CnC. I like CnC

Wow, 2 different machines and two machines that hate Coats and Clark. Mine just like the more expensive stuff I guess.
    May your life be always full, and your bobbins even fuller!

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if this has any bearing on any problems, but I recently learned about the spools of threads with thread in one direction can't be used on a sewing machine because it is similar to unwinding a roll of ribbon from the side; it starts to bunch up and twist. Crisscross spools (thread goes multiple directions) can be used in machines just fine.

However, is the thread is all going in one single direction, you can lay the spool sideways in a cup and pull up from there. XD I can't seem to find a reference on google, but I hope that makes sense!