Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is washing once with color catchers enough?

I am new to not pre-washing, and I just made a quilt with red strips. I put 6 color catchers in the washer, I am sweating bullets hoping the red doesn't bleed onto the light gray!

Is one washing enough, or should I run it through the washer again with more color catchers before I dry it?
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is washing once with color catchers enough?

Hi Cathryn, I just put 1 color catcher in normal cold water wash and tumble dry my dad's RED bowling quilt. I also put in an ugly table cloth and the color catcher did a great job. Nothing ran on the other colors, but it's my first one... Sorry, hope someone with alot more quilt experience answers as well

*bumping up*
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The most I ever used was 2 color catchers at a time and that was on a red, white and blue quilt. One had a small amount of red on it, the other had nothing. I washed the quilt again a couple weeks later with a pillowcase I had made to match. There was nothing on the color catcher that time.

I would say if yours have a lot of dye transfer on them to go ahead and wash the quilt before you dry it, just to be safe. If they are fairly clean or just lightly spotted, you are probably good to dry.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

All 6 color catchers came out DEEP dark pink...but there were no spots on the quilt where the red bled into the gray! I was worried about setting the dye in the dryer if it did bleed. Since the color catchers were so dark with color I'll probably wash it again. Can't hurt to make it wrinklier anyways.

If it wasn't a gift I wouldn't be so worried about it!
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome outcome. LOL, I have never used THAT many color catchers on one thing before. Not even my moms red and white quilt.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would just maybe recommend to the person to use cold water and wash with color catchers the first few times - maybe even gift a couple with the quilt!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Considdering the amount of work that goes in to a quilt I plan to be using colour catchers a lot! That being said I was amazed when pre-"washing" fabric that was different shades of deep purple and have only the first water be coloured at all. That was using hot water (60 Cel) and nothing else, just letting it lie in the water for ten mins or so. I think the first couple of washes are probably the crucial ones?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bkthomas View Post
    I would just maybe recommend to the person to use cold water and wash with color catchers the first few times - maybe even gift a couple with the quilt!
    Excellent idea!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bkthomas View Post
    After I washed it again last night with 4 more color catchers that all came out a pretty dark pink, I decided to gift the quilt with color catchers too!

I can't believe how much red is on the color catchers!
    Cathryn

10. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What the heck are all these colour catchers everyone keeps talking about and where do I find them? I'm assuming, as usual, they are not available in Canada?

12. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post