Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you own a Singer? Which one?

I have a Singer Futura ce-350. It sews, quilts and embroiders. I got it for making clothes, gowns and some crafts. I am new to quilting (haven't completed my first yet) but I love this machine. Ironically whenever I look in the book for something it is backwards. I always end up on you tube to find the answers I need.

I do go to a local sewing machine shop for my thread, I only use Mettler for clothing. I use Robinson Anton for embroidery and I forget what my serger thread is but I buy it there as well. Anyway, that store bad mouths singer in the worst way. The last time I was in with a half completed embroidered project looking for the right thread to go with the color scheme the woman admired my work and then proceeded to trash talk my machine. Saying these two things particularly upset me, "get away from Singer, they are nothing but junk and never work right", "who even knows who makes them anymore".

Well the truth is that Husquavana/Viking make these machines and mine is 4 yrs old and it does a beautiful job with anything I ask it to do. I absolutely love the embroider software and it does a great job.

So out of curiosity what do you have for a machine and how long have you been using that brand?

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you own a Singer? Which one?

I just recently purchased a singer fashion mate. Only cost about $200. Other than not having a drop in bobbin I like it. It free motions very well. Some day, Maybe I will be bale to afford a better machine, but as long as I can get done what I am doing it's all good.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have Brother machines and have been using them for about 8 years or so. I say if you're happy with your machine then that's all that matters, they don't have to use it.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The first machine I learned to sew on was my mom's Singer. Not sure what model it was, but it was light green, had the cams for the decorative stitches, weighed a ton because it was all metal, sewed just fine, nothing wrong with it, was a workhorse, but I hated that machine with a passion. I can't even tell you why. My grandma had a treadle Singer and I sewed on that as well, no problem. Singers used to be made here, were well made, mostly metal parts, etc. They have gotten a bad rep since they started being made in China, I think the first few years they were nothing but trouble, but it seems that recently people have been happier with them. I still don't know why I disliked that green machine so much, but I did. My mom bought a Kenmore and I really liked it. I now own an older Pfaff and a Brother.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

- I have the Singer Futura ce250 -- and it's been a workhorse -- it's about 3 years old now . .. I love that I don't have to mess with the tension . . the brother I have - the tension gives me tension -- can never get it right
    I was looking at the Futura Quartet 4 in 1 -- but the reviews were not so good . . *ugh*~

Diane

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisapc View Post
    I have a Singer Futura ce-350. It sews, quilts and embroiders. I got it for making clothes, gowns and some crafts. I am new to quilting (haven't completed my first yet) but I love this machine. Ironically whenever I look in the book for something it is backwards. I always end up on you tube to find the answers I need.

I do go to a local sewing machine shop for my thread, I only use Mettler for clothing. I use Robinson Anton for embroidery and I forget what my serger thread is but I buy it there as well. Anyway, that store bad mouths singer in the worst way. The last time I was in with a half completed embroidered project looking for the right thread to go with the color scheme the woman admired my work and then proceeded to trash talk my machine. Saying these two things particularly upset me, "get away from Singer, they are nothing but junk and never work right", "who even knows who makes them anymore".

Well the truth is that Husquavana/Viking make these machines and mine is 4 yrs old and it does a beautiful job with anything I ask it to do. I absolutely love the embroider software and it does a great job.

So out of curiosity what do you have for a machine and how long have you been using that brand?
    First of all, I would tell your local sewing shop to stuff it.

I have ( I believe . . . 16 or 17 Singer sewing machines). While my oldest (circa 1892) won't embroider, I'll bet it will dance circles around anything she favors. I have a Husqvarna Viking Designer Diamond, and their Serger (5 thread) . . .I have 2 Fingerweights - 3 3/4 size (99) Singers, several 66's, a couple Red Eyes, Five of my machines are treadles . . . I love the Singers and if I could afford it I would have the Anniversary edition. I think your sales lady at the LQS is a JERK!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

7. Thanks Lisapc thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I own two Singers.
    My older one was the 150 anniversary model and it has been a real workhorse. Lots of projects for home and school and it was the one I began my quilting on.
    I purchased a Singer Futura Quartet last January from HSN and really like it. I now have both machines side by side and continue to use both. I prefer FMQ on the Futura as it is faster and has the "needle down" option which is a must for quilting. The nice thing is that the feet for both machines are interchangeable so it just really made sense.

And besides I am a music teacher and singer/performer so how can I not own a "SINGER"? LOL
    Sondra J.

9. Thanks Lisapc thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisapc View Post
    The last time I was in with a half completed embroidered project looking for the right thread to go with the color scheme the woman admired my work and then proceeded to trash talk my machine.
    First of all, anyone who trash talks my machine is in effect trash talking my creation. I would have some not so ladylike things to say to that person and I would turn around and leave forever.

Is she the quilt police? Her job, ESPECIALLY in running a small business, is to make you fell all warm and fuzzy good as soon as you step foot inside her shop so you will BUY! If she's the owner, she's a crappy business woman. If she is an employee, the owner should fire her patooty post haste!

Second, I've never owned anything other than Singers. Currently I use the Singer Confidence Quilter and I have nothing but rave reviews for my quilts. In addition, I see in a lot of her tutorial videos that Miss Jenny uses the same machine so it certainly can't be that darn trashy.

Sweetheart, you use the machine that is comfortable for YOU! Budget-wise, ease of use, features that are important to YOU, and to heck with anyone who tries to bring you down. Pretentious biddies have no place in the quilting world in my opinion!

11. Thanks Lisapc thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

My mother always had singers in the past and she loved them. I own a brother and a janome. I love them both. Personally I think if it works for you that's all that matters. Happy stitching!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Singer. It sews a straight line and that's all that matters to me!