Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I can't believe i have to ask this!

Wow... I feel so dumb...but i cant figure out how to use my ruler and cutting mat! Do you line the fabris up on the mat? What are all the lines on the ruler!? Holy cow i feel like I'm in grade school again!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I can't believe i have to ask this!

What I do ( and this was before starting quilting) where your fabric is folded measure across to the selvage to get it straightened up. Do That as best you can. Put the folded side on a line on the mat and then use your ruler to cut off the ends so you have a straight place to start with a project. You can start cutting jelly rolls etc by using the ruler marks on your mat.

Hope that made sence.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; November 29th, 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video that might help some:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybQLai6Mv58
    Last edited by buckeyequilter; November 29th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

4. Thanks Evilynn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's Leah Day's and it is very good. She taught me how to do it.
    Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
    Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent video and just discovered that I have been cutting wrong....didn't know you were supposed to include your measurement line, so I've been shorting myself a few threads every time I cut!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wendy, don't feel dumb. My very first quilt was a rag quilt. I opened up the fabric and laid it out on my son's air hockey table and used a regular ruler and marked 8" down from the edge all the way across then went back and used a yardstick to draw a line connecting all the marks I made. Then I cut it along the line across all 5 meters of fabric.

No one told me to fold the fabric up and no one showed me how to correctly use my mat.

I now have a 6x24" ruler that I really don't use properly either. Im left handed which means I would have to start cutting my fabric from the right side if I use the ruler. Well I like starting on the left so I use the ruler as an edge and use the lines on my mat to square it.

When I think back to how I cut fabric the first time I just shake my head and wonder what the heck I was thinking!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya D View Post
    Wendy, don't feel dumb. My very first quilt was a rag quilt. I opened up the fabric and laid it out on my son's air hockey table and used a regular ruler and marked 8" down from the edge all the way across then went back and used a yardstick to draw a line connecting all the marks I made. Then I cut it along the line across all 5 meters of fabric.

No one told me to fold the fabric up and no one showed me how to correctly use my mat.

I now have a 6x24" ruler that I really don't use properly either. Im left handed which means I would have to start cutting my fabric from the right side if I use the ruler. Well I like starting on the left so I use the ruler as an edge and use the lines on my mat to square it.

When I think back to how I cut fabric the first time I just shake my head and wonder what the heck I was thinking!
    Tanya - you can buy left handed rulers, OR turn your ruler over...the numbers will be back the front but you can still read them...OR if the painted lined are thick and obscure the numbers, write the numbers on with a permanent marker...

Cheers, pami

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wendy - don't feel bad, we were ALL there once...line up the fold of your fabric along the '0' line at the bottom...decide whether you will use either the lines on the mat or the lines on your ruler to measure the width of your strips, one or the other, never both...obviously if you're cutting 8 1/2" wide strips and have a 6 1/2" wide ruler you're going to use the measurements on the mat...I never use the measurements on the ruler personally...oh, and if using the measurements on the ruler, use the same ruler or same brand of ruler throughout as there are inconsistencies between brands...

Cheers, Pami
    Last edited by pamipatch; November 30th, 2012 at 10:25 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wendy, get yourself a June Taylor Shape Cut ruler. You will never have to worry about getting extremely accurate cuts again. The only time I use the lines on the mat are if I need to cut a piece that is larger than 12 inches, say making a 20 by 20 inch square. Then I use the lines and a straight, old fashion ruler to make the cut. Here is a link to a video to show you. You can make cuts on the 1/2 and even 3/4 inch intervals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdugcEccsDQ
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

11. Thanks toggmom, Cat n bull thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madampolo View Post
    Wendy, get yourself a June Taylor Shape Cut ruler. You will never have to worry about getting extremely accurate cuts again. The only time I use the lines on the mat are if I need to cut a piece that is larger than 12 inches, say making a 20 by 20 inch square. Then I use the lines and a straight, old fashion ruler to make the cut. Here is a link to a video to show you. You can make cuts on the 1/2 and even 3/4 inch intervals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdugcEccsDQ
    OH EM GEE!!!! That thing is AMAZING!! LOL! I'm off to find out where to get that. My bank account is openly weeping now...right beside my husband.