Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lone Quilter

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lone Quilter

So I was looking at the Daily Deal a few days ago... It was a beautiful Jelly roll! So I went to Youtube and was looking at all of Jenny's suggestions for Jelly roll quilts. (I never bought the jelly roll by the way :/ ) I had seen the Jellyroll Racing one a few times, but watched it anyways because it's one of my favorites. And I thought about how fun would it be do to that side by side with a friend! Problem. I don't have any quilting friends. Little alone any sewing friends at all. I have often thought about making flyers that read 'Friend wanted!' to post around my apartment complex, but I also felt that was a little sad. I almost texted my boyfriends mom, because I know she would have loved to, but... I just really wish I had a friend, if that makes sense. Anywhoodles. Taking suggestions on where to find quilting friends

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lone Quilter

Welcome to the forum. I know how it is to not have any friends to sew with or even talk to about your projects. I saw under your name that you are in Brentwood, TN.. so I googled quilt guilds in Tennessee. http://www.quiltguilds.com/tennessee.htm Maybe you can find a guild close to you and join it. I don't drive so joining a guild near me is not an option at this time.
    Good luck.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

3. Thanks CraftyGoose89 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Such a shame that Brittyboo disappeared, she was near there. If you check for a quilt shop close by [maybe one in Franklin] and I bet you could find a sewing buddy, classes or someone like minded. Wish I was closer, Brentwood is so pretty.

Your boyfriend's mother may be looking for a friend, too.

5. Thanks CraftyGoose89 thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the Guild links, and suggestions. I didn't have the resources or the know-how on where to look for other quilters, but I feel a little more confident now On my next day off (Unfortunately, I have a full time job as well), I will definitely take some initiative to look for some friends

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what you mean...I don't even know anyone that sews, so quilting is out of the question. All of the "local" quilt groups meet during the day around here...and since I work that's not an option for me. Oh well - it gives me some quiet time when I'm in my room. I try to join in some of the group activities on this forum and come here when I need advice on sewing/quilting etc.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

8. Thanks CraftyGoose89 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Donna's idea is great. I have never joined a guild, and not really close to anyone that quilts or sews. However, you have come to the right place here. This forum is full of wonderful people, many of whom I consider friends. Actually got to meet one of them recently. Hang out here in your spare time, and I am sure you will soon come to see you have friends here
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

10. Thanks CraftyGoose89 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully you find some quilting friends. I have a few and they are a great source of help...each brings their own knowledge and together they have helped me.

12. Thanks CraftyGoose89 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quilt shop, take a class even if you feel you don't need it. You might find a kindred spirit!

14. Thanks CraftyGoose89 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyGoose89 View Post
    So I was looking at the Daily Deal a few days ago... It was a beautiful Jelly roll! So I went to Youtube and was looking at all of Jenny's suggestions for Jelly roll quilts. (I never bought the jelly roll by the way :/ ) I had seen the Jellyroll Racing one a few times, but watched it anyways because it's one of my favorites. And I thought about how fun would it be do to that side by side with a friend! Problem. I don't have any quilting friends. Little alone any sewing friends at all. I have often thought about making flyers that read 'Friend wanted!' to post around my apartment complex, but I also felt that was a little sad. I almost texted my boyfriends mom, because I know she would have loved to, but... I just really wish I had a friend, if that makes sense. Anywhoodles. Taking suggestions on where to find quilting friends
    You just made about half a million friends when you joined this forum. If any of us lived close we'd be over at your place sewing just about every day. So, I suggest you move to Missouri!

Oh, WELCOME to the forum!

Will you be my friend?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

16. Thanks CraftyGoose89 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Aww... many years ago my uncle lived in Brentwood - it was such a pretty place! I would check out the local quilt shops - or other stores like JoAnn. Take a class to meet someone with like interests. Good Luck - and remember you have lots of friends here!

ETA - or do like I did - I convinced my friend who wanted nothing to do with quilting that she really did want to quilt. All it took was showing her Jenny's tutorials -starting with the Jelly Roll Race.
    Last edited by dwil23; November 20th, 2012 at 06:39 AM.

18. Thanks CraftyGoose89 thanked for this post