• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rochellejay
    Quilting Royalty
    • Nov 2012

Quilting a jelly roll race quilt

How do you guys quilt your jelly roll race quilt tops?
    I just have a very beginner's brother sewing machine so I'm not sure I could manage free motion on this size of project. (Only have done free motion on small stuff so far.)
    I guess there is stitching in the ditch, but that seams like it would take ages too!
    There has to be some way I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rochellejay; November 15, 2012, 01:06 PM.
  • Denis
    The Guild President
    • Nov 2011

Re: Quilting a jelly roll race quilt

You could quilt straight lines diagonally whatever distance you'd like; 1"-2"-3"-4",etc...

Get a washable quilt marker, either the blue washables or the new Frixxion pens. Test these on scraps to make sure they do wash out. When washing the disappearing ink, soak in cold water. The Frixxion pens disappear with the heat of your iron. I've never used them yet.

If your sewing machine has fancy stitches, use one of those or a combination instead of straight lines. For this, I'd go 3" apart or more as they take longer to stitch out compared to a straight line. Make sure to use a walking foot.

Comment

• KatiesQuiltingCorner
      The Guild President
      • Dec 2011

I did my first one using my embroidery machine. My second one I free motion quilted (see pix below). My second one is pretty big (I added a triple pieced border) so that will be going to my longarmer once I get a few more large tops done for her to do.

Bali Pop Jelly Roll Race quilt by MagnoliaFly, on Flickr

Bali Pop Jelly Roll Race quilt by MagnoliaFly, on Flickr

It wasn't too bad FMQing the top. Faster than trying to do straight line stitching I think.
      Katie's Quilting Corner
      Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
      Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

Comment

• rochellejay
        Quilting Royalty
        • Nov 2012

When you do free motion are you doing it on a standard home sewing machine? I'm just so nervous about the weight and amount of fabric in the neck of my machine.

(Truth be told I already "ruined" one jelly roll race quilt, I tried to do the diagonal lines, but it was basically my first sewing project since I was 10 years old or so! Needless to say that didn't go so well! I ended up cutting up that quilt sandwich and made some fun quilted toddler backpacks. I free motioned quilted those smaller pieces with out problem.)

IMAG1040.jpg

IMAG1041.jpg

IMAG1042.jpg
        Last edited by rochellejay; November 15, 2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• lilmouse
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2011

I use a zigzag stitch on mine; does eat a lot of thread though! I just run the zigzag up and down my seam lines and on my border seams....works well with a regular sewing machine....have actually quilted on the Janome Jem (a portable class machine) doing an entire quilt......any questions feel free to pm me! I check the forum off and on all day and night!

Comment

• SweetTea
            4 Patch Pro
            • Feb 2013

Ill mouse, can you give me a rough idea, how much fabric you used to back the jelly roll race quilt? I'm ordering the fabric and would like to get a piece to coordinate. Also, it's been a while since I made my first quilt, I'm not too sure how to block the top before I add the borders. Thank you!

Comment

• bubba
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2013

Be careful if you use one of the frixion pens because on dark fabric, they can bleach out the color...believe me I know (thankfully it was on the inside of a tote). I'd hate so see this happen on your quilt top.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• dwil23
                Missouri Star
                • May 2012

I did one in a hurry that I sitd every other seam. It came out nice, but I wouldn't do that for one that I expected to get a lot of wear and tear.
                Donna

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                  Be careful if you use one of the frixion pens because on dark fabric, they can bleach out the color...believe me I know (thankfully it was on the inside of a tote). I'd hate so see this happen on your quilt top.
                  I had that happen but when the quilt was washed the "bleached" places disappeared. Of course you probably didn't wash the tote.
                  Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                  X