Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tell me what to do please

Ok so how am I doing since my back and hip have been sliced, diced, and stapled? Well my staples are out and my outside incisions are healing nicely, my insides where they cut muscles is still sore and very tense at times. There are moments where I believe I'm all well (at least that's what I tell myself) then my body reminds me, no, you're not done yet. So surgery was 3 weeks ago today and I've gone outside once. I know I should be going outside and getting some sun & vitamin d but with hurricane Sandy, and today with the weepy storm I'm just not in the mood. What I need someone to tell me is what to do to get myself out of the blues. I'm getting cabin fever already and I still have a long way to go. So many restrictions on me, cannot ride in a car more than 15 to 20 minutes, no driving, walking, til released to do so. Can't sew for long before I have to go lay down, can't clean my sewing room, can't carry the baby, CAN rock baby to sleep every night ++, can't lift arms above shoulder height, can't do laundry, cleaning etc... I am barely able to shower without help.
    I know I'm not the only person to go thru this but I want to catch my misery before it gets worse. What can I do?? Any suggestions are welcome. Please forgive me for my whining and crying.
    Last edited by Donna F; November 8th, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tell me what to do please

Whine away, I think sharing problems helps, its nice to have some one to talk to, and we are here to help/listen, I am sitting here feeling sorry for myself, I re injured my shoulder last week, the one that I initially hurt in May and had surgery on, now I am in pain again, on more pain meds, and it does not take long if I am sewing to be in pain again so I have had to slow down a lot, but that is nothing to what you are going through.

Try and concentrate on the positives what you can do, I would try and get outside, even if the weather is really bad some fresh air has got to help you, have you tried designing quilts, get some graph paper and some coloured pencils and whilst you a resting design some masterpieces so that when you can sew you can make some wonderful creations. Have you got someone that can take you for a drive, can you go to a coffee shop that is close by, have a cup of coffee and go home again, a change of scenery even for a short while is bound to help, just a couple of ideas hope they help, sending big hugs and prayers and I will stop feeling sorry for myself.
    Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone. . . Not your housework!!

Leonie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing maybe you're a bit of a Type A personality, much like myself. After my abdominal surgery, I felt much like this.
    Everyday it gets a little bit better. Never fast enough for US, all the same, but a little better.
    Try not to be so hard on yourself. Create a journal for the week and make small daily goals for yourself. (Something each day that is simple and attainable) At the end of the day, give yourself a pat on the back for for each goal achieved!
    My Best to you, Donna! You'll get there, just try not to be to hard on yourself!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Awwww I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way. I've been through that once and it's no fun when you feel like doing stuff but still can't. Do you have some handwork that you can work on to keep busy while relaxing and resting? Do you knit or crochet? Read? I did all of those things while I had to stay on the couch and not leave the house for about two weeks or so. I think I read two books, made an afghan and finished up a lot of mending that needed to get done.
    I don't know what else to suggest but make sure you stay rested and don't do anything you're not supposed to be doing. You've come this far and it won't be long now and you'll be up doing all those things you listed that you can't do now. Then you'll wish you didn't have to do them, LOL Hahaha.... I really do hope that you feel better soon. ((((((((Donna))))))))

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Donna,
    What you are going through is normal. I had total knee replacement in August. It took me a full two months before I really STARTED to feel somewhat normal again. I had big plans for projects to work on while off work, but just didn't feel like doing much at all. Give yourself time, and a "pity party" if you feel like it - just don't beat yourself up over it. Do your therapy - yes, I know, I still hate going - I have three more sessions. And like someone else said - "whine away" - we are here to listen.

Donna W.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's been 3 weeks and you aren't out running marathons?

It's only been 3 weeks. That ONLY is am important word. It takes more time for your body to physically heal and recover from such an invasive surgery. I remember when I had my c-section. Two weeks later I thought I was all better. Went to where I worked, walked to the back of the factory with my daughter and mom and darn near didn't make it to the front. I had to keep sitting down and resting and I was a lot younger then. Give it some time. Find someone that might take you out of the house for 10 or 15 minutes, if only just for a ride. Cabin fever sets in when you know you can't get out.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

PM Sandy N. she's hilarious!!!!!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Donna. It is perfectly normal to be feeling all that you are. I have been on total bed rest more times than I can count, but not for anything as serious as this. I love to read, so that helped me. And I actually had time to do it. If you do any hand work kind of things, knitting, crocheting, embroidery or anything else, maybe you can so something like that. Cross words, seek and find or sodoku (sp) puzzles. If you can get outside for just a few minutes a day, give it a try. But please please do not do anything you shouldn't be doing and thus risking setting your self back. But above all else feel free to get on here and 'whine' all you want. We are here for you, and have you in our prayers. Right now just enjoy the fact that you have others around you that are willing and able to help you out. I spent 3 weeks with my BF after she had back surgery, and took care of her. And yes I did it all, including help her go to the bathroom, and shower. Actually it was quite amusing at times. One time I was up to my elbows, helping to clean her after she had used the rest room, and she asked me how well I thought I knew her. I just said pretty darn well at this point. Try to think of the positives, even though that isn't always easy. There is an end in sight, though it may not seem like it right now. Hold that baby and rock him every time you feel blue. There is nothing like the smell and snuggling a new baby to lift your spirits. ((((Donna))) Hang in there, and try to look to the future when all of this will be behind you.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Donna, Going outside if the weather allows will help a lot. Just having sunshine on your face and to feel the breeze can help lift your mood....even if you just sit and look at a magazine. Others on the forum have mentioned this before too. Everyone has mentioned good ideas for indoor things to do. I find watching something funny on tv to make you laugh does wonders for the blues. And as everyone else has mentioned don't do anything that you shouldn't do. You went through too much to back up now. Will be praying that you will be feeling better very soon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping you in prayer Donna...and sending hugs to blow those blues away............oops; there they go...bye bye!