Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too many machines to choose from!

I am sewing on my mom's machine-Black Diamond- from the 1960's. I need to invest in a new machine that makes machine quilting easier. I have no idea where to begin. I sew recreationally and I love crafting and quilt making. Do I have to pay the big dollars for a machine I can quilt on?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Too many machines to choose from!

Just get the machine that has the biggest throat space that fis into your budget. That's the key to making quilting easier. I'm partial to Janomes, but Brother, Husqvarna, BabyLock are all good choices.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 6600. It's a little pricey, but does have a 9 inch throat space. I've had it for about a year and I absolutely love it so far. It's hard to find a machine with a bigger than average throat that's not pricey. Hope you find something that suites your budget and makes you happy.
    Bec

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip. Maybe Santa reads this forum.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bec View Post
    I have a Janome 6600. It's a little pricey, but does have a 9 inch throat space. I've had it for about a year and I absolutely love it so far. It's hard to find a machine with a bigger than average throat that's not pricey. Hope you find something that suites your budget and makes you happy.
    That was going to be my suggestion. I had one of these and absolutely loved it. Traded up for a long arm, that's the only reason I don't still own it. I wish I had it back.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 7700 it has the 11" throat space, I love it, they have just updated and a new Horizon is out so the 7700 is coming down in price.
    Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone. . . Not your housework!!

Leonie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like to look at whether or not the tension is manual or automatic (like a car lol!). I have had better luck with my automatic tension singer confidence. I look forward to getting a new machine one day though too. Not the biggest throat on it at all. I will also look for a machine that has automatic needle down position. But it isnt a deal breaker either. I also really like the drop in bobbin feature too.

Maybe go to amazon and read reviews on machines that interest you too, or google reviews on particular machines and do your research that way as well.
    Finished is way better than perfect!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

i just bought a pfaff ambition 1.0 and i love it. it has needle up/down and evenfeeding built in and an 8 inch throat. it has alot of other things i love about it....it sews like a charm. i walked into the machine store and told them this is my budget and i cant go any higher and i want these features...what do you got? the only feature i had on the list and didn't get was the extended table, which i can buy later and a knee lift which was optional for me anyway.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I understand you're dilemma , I am having he same issue. I am sewing on my Brother from Walmart that does okay but I am ready for more machine. I read reviews and always get conflicting information. Let s know what you decide! Good luck in your hunt.