Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting a stash?

I want to start but am not sure how much I should buy of a particular fabric when I don't have a specific project in mind. Help please.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starting a stash?

That's a good question! I used to buy third yards, but then I love the scrappy look. Now I tend to buy at least a half a yard, but will buy up to three or four if a.) the quality is good b.) the price is right and c.) I can see using it for the backing or borders of a quilt.

I think it depends on what style of quilt appeals to you. If you tend to like quilts with alot of the same block repeated, buy more yardage. If you like scrappy, buy more fabrics but less yardage of each. Hope that makes sense - and have fun! Stash shopping is my favorite past-time!

3. Thanks 12booboo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I like a fabric I always buy three yards of it...some people may think that is too much, but so far I've never not had enough fabric for any quilt I've wanted to do. I'd rather have too much than not enough.

Gayle

5. Thanks 12booboo thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love to buy fat quarters. My LQS usually runs a special where you can get them for a dollar if you buy twenty. That helps me build my stash quickly.

7. Thanks 12booboo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought some fat quarters from my LQS and from ebay..I am just starting out..have also made some MSQC deal of the day purchases on charm packs and have got a couple of jelly rolls to start...now If I could just cut a straight line...lol..
    These things, I warmly wish for you-
    Someone to love, some work to do,
    A bit'o sun, a bit'o cheer.
    And a guardian angel always near.

(¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Shannon

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=64

9. Thanks 12booboo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally not crazy bout fat quarters, I think there is to much waste, but then I save almost all scraps. As far as pre cuts, you can't go wrong with charms or jelly rolls. So much you can do with them. If not sure or don't have a specific project in mind, I would buy at least 1yd cuts of 4-6 coordinating fabrics. I would also recommend if you are new to quilting you start off with small projects. Nothing bigger than baby quilt or lap quilt. Building a stash is half the fun of quilting. BTW, welcome to our little slice of heaven.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

11. Thanks 12booboo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the earlier statements on your quit preferences dictating your fabric purchases. Scrappy versus coordinating (multiple blocks with the same colors or pattern) will determine how much you need for a quilt as well as the size you want to make. I don't think I have ever been disappointed that I have two yards of any particular fabric.
    If you find a neutral (black, white, beige, etc.) at a great price, stock up! I like to use tone on tone (ie. white ink on white material) fabrics for my backgrounds. I find that it can be hard to find a good variety of designs at times. I bought up a bunch (3 yd cuts of each) of it when I found a new pattern, and haven't seen it since!
    Make sure to remember to buy more than just your favorite colors for your stash! There was a time when I didn't have more than one piece of red in my entire collection! Look for those colors in patterns you would be happy to work with. If you are buying fabric for a particular purpose, get a bit extra (quarter to half yard, price depending). This has saved my bacon several times when I have messed up a cut. In some stores they will sell you the tail end of the bolt at a discount if your original amount would leave a remnant. Some of the fabric-counter cutters are better at this than others.
    I have no problem buying fat-quarters. Just remember to look carefully at the price. It is half of a half-yard. At $2.50 for a FQ that puts the yardage price at $10/yd. Sales on FQs can get you good deals, and in some cases, they are the only places you can find the perfect color match.
    I use every possible bit of fabric because I'm frugal (nice word for cheap) and have a much more limited fabric budget now. I haven't gotten to crumb quilting, but the string quilts are looking intriguing as a way to eat up the scraps and squaring up strips. If you get into paper piecing little pieces will be handy to have too. I tuck my leftovers back in with the original piece. Any last bits without a parent-fabric piece go into the scrap bag.
    The last thing I'm going to throw out there is about managing your stash before it gets to be the monster in the closet. Find storage containers that will work with your space and buy all of them at once. (I know that seems crazy, but the manufacturer will stop making that perfect size once you decide you need one or two more. Guess how I know.) Label them with however you decide to organize them, color size, etc. It will make finding what you want so much easier as you work. The gals here have many ideas on storage and work space organization photos for inspiration!

Happy stash building!
    Cathy
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

13. Thanks 12booboo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a big question! If I find a fabric that I think would make good borders for a quilt I buy three yards of of it. I like my borders to be cut lengthwise if possible and this amount even works for a king quilt, which I seem to make often for some reason. Other fabrics I will buy either a half yard or a yard. I also recommend buying larger cuts of neutrals and blenders that will help pull other colors together. I'm also not wild about fat quarters unless I just need a smidge and just can't live without it! For the past few years I have been using the pre-cuts a lot...and then buying yardage for borders and binding.

Each quilter's stash is a personal call. Don't try to get it all at once. Wait and see how your quilting 'style' develops. Why load up on plaids if your favorite fabric is batiks. Good Luck!

15. Thanks 12booboo thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything said. I'd buy coordinating colors, pieces that may look good for borders, or similar Designs but knowing my shopping Style, if I go :-o I'd buy it, and then find coordinating fabric

17. Thanks 12booboo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I really really like it I will buy as much as I can afford...I make a lot of my own precuts from my stash so I have also run into the oohhhhh...I really love this fabric and was never able to find it again...so that being said....if something really catches your eye and you know you can use it in several different ways then buy several yards...if the fabric is okay I usually always buy a yard...I am also a fat quarter freak...can't get enough of them...so you have lots of opinions and will have some advice on how to start...and your stash will build quickly and break the bank if you aren't careful!

19. Thanks 12booboo thanked for this post