Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Housekeeping/Quilting/Depression

I totally agree with the socks and shoes thing, I swear my Crocs are my secret weapon to actually accomplishing anything! I have a pair that I ONLY wear in the house, and something about having them on makes me so much more productive. You know how you're all dressed to go out the door and suddenly you remember fourteen things you have to do before you can leave, so you rush around and do them all? I think it's the same feeling! LOL There's a lot to be said for "putting your costume on!" I put on my sewing apron and it's amazing how much I can get done!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat as you too. What a wonderful solution that I will have to try. Thanks for posting the idea.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Much like Ruby my depression stems from chronic pain, fibro, arthritis, and systemic lupus. I like the sound of your plan. I cannot make a plan however because DD works such odd schedules, so I never know from week to week, when I will be home, or have DGK's here. I do however need to get out of this negative rut I am in. I've been on a bad luck roll lately and need to get that sucker turned around. Gonna do that tomorrow, still on light duty restriction today from tooth. Very proud of you Susie for getting a handle on it and being pro active.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all again for the feedback and now I am really glad I posted this....figured there were others that have similar issues and like I said, if by speaking up I help one person, that it was worth it.....you all have a good evening and smile....sometimes it is all you can do!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love the "FlyLady" and her book Sink Reflections!
    Happy Quilting!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for posting this.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have up and down days, but mine are caused by health issues...some days I can tackle the world and other days I can barely move. I do what I can, when I can. If I need help, DH finishes things up for me when he gets home from work. He cooks dinner or orders in when I don't feel like cooking. It's wonderful having a loving and supportive partner. I sew without guilt every day of the week if I choose to, but I no longer have small children at home, but I do run our business. We need to be flexible and kind to ourselves. If that means I spend all day in my jammies (I almost did today) that's perfectly fine!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread! I have to admit that my idea of getting dressed if I am not leaving the house is a comfy pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. I get so much more accomplished if I am comfy. So I say, whatever makes you comfy will motivate you. I also try to do a couple of things around the house before going into the sewing room and then again later on after I've been sewing for awhile. I find it takes the " boring" out of chores because like most of us we know if we can get it done, it's back to the sewing room with no guilty feelings. I really love the ideas and I am going to try to get myself into a better schedule too... Maybe this can be our "pre New Years resolution! We should keep checking in and posting how we are doing so we can continue to help those in real need due to depression, pain, or for those just in a funk or a rut.
    Thanks for posting this!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It was worth baring my soul so to speak if it helps just one person who is dealing with similar issues. I still have good days and bad days and some days I just have to give myself a good swift kick and say just do it!

10. Thanks djjustin thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to comment on this post the other day and forgot. What I try to do on days when I want to work on quilting and have house work to do is..........I set the oven timer for 30 minutes and do what ever work I can during that time. Then I reset the timer for 30 minutes and work on quilting things. When the timer goes off each time..I switch back to the other activity. I would rather keep sewing but I find if I switch back and forth my back doesn't get as tired........plus I feel like I'm getting things done in both areas....work and play! That doesn't mean that I do it everyday......like today........my sinuses said I wasn't going to get much done because they wanted to be all itchy & drippy & annoying! Got to get back in my routine tomorrow!