Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Enlighten me re: batting?

Hi:

I am not new to sewing but am new to quilting. I am very familiar and comfortable with Malden Mills Fleece, now known as Polortec. It does not pill, lose it's shape and it is the supplier to the military, Olympics, LL Bean and such. I bought some batting for my first quilt and then read a lot of reviews online of different batting. I guess what I am looking for is for some experienced and knowledgeable quilter to tell me why I simply cannot use a 100, 200 or 300 weight recycled fleece as my batting? It quilts beautifully, I tried with just a small 5x5 block to see. It is very warm and soft. It is also cheaper than batting and I feel very high quality and would last forever.

Can someone offer me some advice before I do something stupid here?

Thank you so much,

Lisapc

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Enlighten me re: batting?

My family likes fleece. I use it for the backing on my quilts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why you couldn't use it for batting...be aware that most fleece is 100 polyester and the only reason I mention that is in case of fire it melts into the skin...rather than just burning the skin....beyond that it is fine...I lived through a fire and saw all my afghans in a melted heap and that is when I learned about cotton versus poly....but if you are comfortable using it ...go for it....as other have said they use it for the back. Batting is really a personal choice...my favorite is warm and natural but you should use whatever you can afford...and I have used poly batting so.....again it is personal choice....as many battings as are available you will get different opinions. I do know that poly battings hand stitch much easier than my personal favorite....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

i'm partial to warm and white or warm and natural for batting. i do use fleece on the back of quilts sometimes and i have used fleece scraps in the center of rag quilts instead of batting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, based on these answers I will use the batting (warm and natural) that I purchased already for the two living room quilts I have going. I will then try the fleece for my son's train quilt and my granddaughters butterfly quilt and see what happens. Once they are finished of course.

Thank you for your help,

Lisapc

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious about where you can find Malden Mills fleece yardage that is cheaper than quilt batting?

I use cuddle dry micro fleece for all my quilt backs, and have tried a few different battings. So far I like Kyoto bamboo/cotton the best for the way it drapes. All my quilts so far have been made to be used, and the bamboo/cotton makes a very soft cuddly quilt!
    Cathryn