Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10/9 - Saturday

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 10/9 - Saturday

Blondie, I know the Wally world pictures you were talking about yesterday. Some of them give me nightmares! And I went to visit your blog and love the spider web runner pattern. How long ago did you make that? It looks like a great way to use scraps; haven't been quilting long enough to have many scraps, but someday I'd like to make something like that.

Pat

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: 10/9 - Saturday

Hi ladies!
    I hope your days are going well. I just popped inside for a quick bite of lunch. My husband, Em, & I got up this morning and got the big barn pitched out. Then I decided to trim some feet. Ugh, that tweaks my back, but it needs to be done or they can become lame. Now I'll head back out in the rain and pitch the smaller barn that the retired ladies use. Then I can come in and take a nice hot shower, make some tea, and work on the sewing room some more.
    They have caught 5 of the folks that shot up the neighborhood, but they are still missing some. The police think they may be holed-up some where out here on the peninsula. So, we are all still on high alert for strange people or behavior. We are all checking in with our neighbors to make sure all is well. Especially with those folks who live in more secluded spots or live alone. I do love our little community. I am just sorry that this is how people learned about it. It is quieter today. There haven't been helicopters hovering over head all day and patrol cars zooming up and down the main road. You still see them, but they aren't quite so frantic and there are more "undercover" cars.

Happy Birthday Sally! Prayers & positive thoughts to those in need of them.

Cathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cathy, It's good they got 5 maybe they'll snitch about the others hideouts etc. I'd be terrified. that is why I will always have a dog to alert if someone is on the property. They make the best door alarms. I don't mind if they bark. I'd rather be warned. I may learn how to use a gun for that reason. Protection. I would learn right though, and know how to use it safely. And with precision. Lots of target practice. That sounds like fun at the shooting range. I know a few women that pack a pistol. And really know what they are doing. They had a sheriffs deputy teach them how. And one girl's husband sells guns and rifles and shotguns. He made her learn. She's glad she did. Too many home invasions happening around. My son and daughter-in-law know too. Her Dad taught her, and my son learned when he was hired to the police dept. He changed to firefighting but still visits a target range to keep in practice. Sad that the world has come down to making sure you can protect your family and yourself. It sounds like the old west has risen again. Sleep well but not sound Jan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
    Blondie, I know the Wally world pictures you were talking about yesterday. Some of them give me nightmares! And I went to visit your blog and love the spider web runner pattern. How long ago did you make that? It looks like a great way to use scraps; haven't been quilting long enough to have many scraps, but someday I'd like to make something like that.

Pat
    Hi Pat, thanks for visiting my blog. The spider web block pattern was made up of loads of Aunt Grace fat quarters and scraps. I found the pattern at:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SpiderwebBlock.html

I have made up the blocks in several different sizes by reducing on my printer. so much fun and so old fashioned looking. It is a very easy way to get intro to paper piecing.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all.

I hope that you have had a good day. Sally, did you have a wonderful birthday??

I got rid of the BAD machine, and came home with none. I have a bells and whistles one in layaway, but will probably just settle on something else. Bless my husbands heart, he wants me to have the best. If I were there alone, I'd have me a machine right now...maybe a bit plain, but not as plain as my Singer with only like 2 stitches. That may be an exaggeration, but not much.

I finally found some white fabric for the Christmas blocks. I have to mark my machine tonight for 1/4" (since I don't have a foot) so that I can start on them.

Sorry I didn't reply to each of your posts today...I just haven't time.
    Hugs!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Well spill it! Which one are you getting hillbilly?? Glad you found some white fabric. I still need some more fabric-thought I was closer to having enough that I was dang it!

Happy Birthday Sally!!
    Shelia

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday ,Sally!
    Hillbilly glad you got rid of that machine! My machine doesn't have many stitches but when I get better at it maybe I'll get a better one. For now thats all I need.
    Cathy, sorry for all your trouble in your town please be on the alert! Don't take anything for granted!
    Jan My hubby has guns and practice is his game if you know what I mean. He has tried to teach me how to use one in case I need too. Sad isn't it that we have to think of protecting ourselves like that. The other day some boys tried to hold up a school bus here but the driver kept going and wouldn't let them on.
    Laura watch out for the sun. I did the same thing and got a rash on my face it wasn't cute.
    Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: 10/9 - Saturday

Yeah Tonya which machine is on layaway. What did you get?
    Night all, If you hear from Laura tell her to write to me. I missed her today. I'm hoping she got some rest and didn't make a 7 course dinner for her visitors. Although I got a feeling she's probably still cleaning up and doing dishes. What am I going to do with her.
    Love you Laura Love you all good night Love, Jan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I took a gun safety course and learned how to shoot and load the handguns. I am pretty accurate. I can get most of the bullets inside a target the size of a CD. The instructor made me laugh about the time I squeezed off a round. It would have missed the heart, but tagged the liver according to him. In any case he figured that would be enough to stop what I was aiming at, even if I was distracted. I pretty much learned how to handle the guns to protect the livestock from predators, but as I already know, there is more danger to my family & farm from the two-legged kind than those with four. We have a livestock guardian dog that lives outside with the animals and he lets us know if anything is moving around. I do believe that there were more firearms cleaned and checked this weekend on this little peninsula than there has been in many years. Apparently the folks who originally settled out here didn't like the government messin' about in their business. They moved out here so they could mind their own. A lot of folks out here still have that mentality, but are a bit more cordial.

I did get both barns cleaned today and over half of the hooves trimmed. My hands started to cramp up, and I thought it might be wise to knock off.
    I flipped through a sewing/fabric catalog and found a few new books I might be interested in. I dug out my gift cards from Christmas for Amazon.com and ordered a new to me quilting book and one for my sister of knitted animal patterns. I am going to make her a holder thing for her needles and flexible cables for Christmas. She was over here poking through my fabrics last weekend while we were painting. She found the Honey Bun I bought with her in mind. She thought it was adorable. (Score one for me!)
    I am hoping to get my sweet husband to help me put up at least one shelf in the sewing space tomorrow. Then I can get some of my books up off of the floor.
    Do any of you tear pages out of the catalogs with patterns or ideas to keep in a file? I really don't want to keep the whole thing for just one pattern or idea. I now have a three-ring binder with sheet protectors inside to tuck these little inspirations in.
    Laura: I hope you aren't doing too much with the company in, but if you are like me, you will. They are guests in my home even if I am not feeling well.
    Tanya: I am glad the demon machine is out of your house at least.
    Newbie: The scraps will build up faster than you think! It is good to have a plan to deal with them in place.
    Patti: I hope you had a good evening with your daughter. It sounded like fun. Mom & I have good visits like that now and again. She lives about an hour away, so we see each other fairly often.
    You ladies have a good night. I am off to check out the daily deal & then hit the sack!
    I am striving to sew some tomorrow!
    Cathy