Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Layer Cake

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Layer Cake

I have 3 layer cakes I bought to make quilts for Christmas gifts.......they are so pretty. Whats an easy easy easy fast quilt to make with the layer cakes?????? (Besides the twister?)

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Layer Cake

The double slice layer cake is super easy, and very nice. Jenny has a tut on it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4. What ever you choose I am sure will be wonderful.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Double Slice Layer Cake quilt!....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4&feature=plcp for the tutorial
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That tut on the chevron quilt is done with layer cakes, if you have that kind of color palette in your fabrics. I think she just did the star one using layer cakes, that looks easy also. Double slice is definitely the easiest one of the three.

If you have a coordinating fabric with one of them, or a jelly roll pack that matches, you can do the Magic Square, this one turns out really cool, and is easy to do.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

thanks auntiemern...gonna go watch it now. do you know how big the finished quilt will be....well i could add borders i guess. I NEED EASY AND FAST lol

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a layer cake (Spa) and doing the doble slice like mentioned. Looks fun and I can't wait to get my fabric!

Lorie

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

not a huge fan of anything with chevron. I think this double slice one is gonna be the pick!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    That tut on the chevron quilt is done with layer cakes, if you have that kind of color palette in your fabrics. I think she just did the star one using layer cakes, that looks easy also. Double slice is definitely the easiest one of the three.

If you have a coordinating fabric with one of them, or a jelly roll pack that matches, you can do the Magic Square, this one turns out really cool, and is easy to do.
    Is that what it's called Jean? Magic Square. I'd llove to check that out while waiting for my fabric.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

did you see jenny's tutorial on the big star..very quick and easy. she made it with a layer cake.
    Patrice

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Is that what it's called Jean? Magic Square. I'd llove to check that out while waiting for my fabric.
    Yes, that's the name. I've done it with smaller blocks than the 10" blocks, I think it makes too floppy big of a block with the 10". I did mine with 8" blocks and it turned out very good, I made two of them, one for one of Bethany's kids and one for a retirement gift, they are in my album.

Another bonus of doing a smaller block is that you only need one strip of fabric to sash around the entire block, if you use a 10" square, you need two strips. If you are doing it with jelly rolls, that gets really expensive!