• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bakermom
    Missouri Star
    • Sep 2010

Re: Layer Cake

Just wanted to add-I found extra wide flannel at Joanns for the backing. made it really snuggly!
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• Tanya D
      Missouri Star
      • Sep 2012

I just love the look of the Double Slice layer cake...so much that I just ordered 2 cakes! Have fun making it...and post pictures when you're done.
      Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

Comment

• lilmouse
        Missouri Star
        • Feb 2011

I have made several of the double slice layer cake and I love the pattern; goes together quickly and easily and you can actually make one with yardage and only need about 6 - 7 different fabrics and it works out pretty that way as well...the only thing I do is add some solid colors to it to help rest the eyes....with some of the layer cakes it can get pretty busy!

Comment

• Evilynn
          Missouri Star
          • Sep 2012

Wow nice! Looks very easy, gonna make the double slice layer cake quilt as my first "real" quilt project! Gonna go to the city anyways in a few, will need some flanell for the backing Since it's my first it will be for us and not a gift yet since I dunno how it will turn out ;D

Thanks for an inspiration!
          ~* Steffie *~

Life is like a party. You invite a lot of people; some go, some join you, some laugh with you, some didn’t come. But in the end, after the fun, there would be a few who would clean up the mess with you. And most of the time, those were the uninvited ones.

My AWESOME new blog (hey, I like it ;)) http://evilynnigirl.blogspot.fi
          /
          Add me on Facebook: Steffie Eronen

Comment

• Hulamoon
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by lilmouse View Post
            I have made several of the double slice layer cake and I love the pattern; goes together quickly and easily and you can actually make one with yardage and only need about 6 - 7 different fabrics and it works out pretty that way as well...the only thing I do is add some solid colors to it to help rest the eyes....with some of the layer cakes it can get pretty busy!
            i actually boaught a 10'' ruler just for that, and I like the idea of using fewer colors. How many squares do you usually cut out?
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Cathteach1
              Fabric Fanatic
              • Oct 2012

I made the double slice - even though I cut my own layer cake, it was super fast and easy!

Comment

• GrammaBabs
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2010

Let's see a picture... it is my plan to get into all my stash and make up some "pre-cuts" for myself... just because it in a big piece doesn't make it useable right!!!!!
                and i do have me some "big pieces" from back in the day.... they've gotta turn into something!!!!
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

• Oleg
                  Applique Angel
                  • Jun 2013

I bought a Christmas themed layer cake to try my hand at quilting. I am following the instructions for the double slice layer cake, and I have done the first part with the cutting. I am going to sew the pieces back together, inverting the smaller strip pile, but it looks like I will sew a lot of the same combos together (not on the same block, but my finished blocks will be duplicated.) Also it looks like a lot of busy prints will be paired together and the more geometric ones will be as well. Am I over thinking at this point? I guess I feel this is not going to look as random as I had hoped.
                  Also, my very last layer cake square somehow got short cut by the factory I guess. It is only 9 1/2" instead of the full 10". Do I just throw this in my scrap bin & hope that I have enough to make a decent quilt? I'm aiming for just a sofa/lap quilt for decor and a little snuggling in front of the TV. Thanks.

Comment

• dwil23
                    Missouri Star
                    • May 2012

Double slice is my favorite too. However, I was in a quilt shop a couple of weeks ago and they had one on display that they called portholes. I was 10" squares snowballed with small (2", maybe?) squares and then joined with 1 1/2" sashing. I really liked that one, too. I am thinking about doing one without the sashing - just using a high contrast small snowball for a little interest.
                    Donna

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

Oleg, if you watch her tut again she does a little reordering of the cuts when they are matching fabrics. Sometimes if there are doubles that might happen. What line did you get maybe someone has an extra square around. I would post that somewhere else though. It might get lost here
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Oleg
                        Applique Angel
                        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                        Oleg, if you watch her tut again she does a little reordering of the cuts when they are matching fabrics. Sometimes if there are doubles that might happen. What line did you get maybe someone has an extra square around. I would post that somewhere else though. It might get lost here
                        It's not so much matching fabrics, but repeating the same combos over. If you take the layer cake in order of how it is compiled, you are making several identical squares (for example, same large flowers with same small holly prints.) I imagine towards the middle is when the fabrics would match exactly and would have to be rearranged. Since they are going to be cut again and one half flipped over would it not matter then? I just don't want to spend all that time sewing the blocks and then not liking how it looks. It seems like you should mix up the blocks first so that there would be more of a varied look to piecing from the beginning. Then again, I do tend to over think things to the point of exhaustion. Since nobody has mentioned this before, perhaps it's not a problem?

BTW, she does say that you will have left over blocks, so I guess my one short square isn't going to matter.

Comment

• Sharyn J
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2012

I'm working on the double slice layer cake and it is a good idea to mix up the prints a little before you start attaching from your pile. Also, take heed to my experience of not sewing the right seam. It's so easy to mix up your pile and turn them. Make sure you have one block laid out for sample and make sure that each block looks the same before proceeding to the next.

See my recent thread regarding the double slice blocks. http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...g-boo-boo.html

BTW, I used 42 squares for my top, which will fit a full size bed after I add some borders.

Comment

• tesspug
                            The Guild President
                            • Mar 2013

This is Jenny's daughter with one a little more complicated that the Double Slice. The Tea Cup Quilt.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXn...VFDHmDXqCIzuAw
                            Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

Working...
                            X