Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Layer Cake

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Layer Cake

I just finished a double slice quilt using a 42 piece layer cake. It was 54 x 63 finished. I did not add a border.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

no i didnt do you have the link?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
    did you see jenny's tutorial on the big star..very quick and easy. she made it with a layer cake.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    I just finished a double slice quilt using a 42 piece layer cake. It was 54 x 63 finished. I did not add a border.
    That's so good to know! I was looking all over for that answer! That's plenty big for my grandson. I wasn't planning on a border either.
    You made me so happy

Lorie

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

wow thats big enough for the hubbster!!! lol

im on my second cutting part...already cut the cake the first time and sewed those pcs back now im about to cut the second cut...it will take longer because i cant cut many at once im scared it will be crooked. im glad to hear u didnt put a border. sometimes you feel like borders, sometimes ya done. me anyhow...

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Quiltbee1;186240]wow thats big enough for the hubbster!!! lol

im on my second cutting part...already cut the cake the first time and sewed those pcs back now im about to cut the second cut...it will take longer because i cant cut many at once im scared it will be crooked.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add-I found extra wide flannel at Joanns for the backing. made it really snuggly!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just love the look of the Double Slice layer cake...so much that I just ordered 2 cakes! Have fun making it...and post pictures when you're done.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made several of the double slice layer cake and I love the pattern; goes together quickly and easily and you can actually make one with yardage and only need about 6 - 7 different fabrics and it works out pretty that way as well...the only thing I do is add some solid colors to it to help rest the eyes....with some of the layer cakes it can get pretty busy!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow nice! Looks very easy, gonna make the double slice layer cake quilt as my first "real" quilt project! Gonna go to the city anyways in a few, will need some flanell for the backing Since it's my first it will be for us and not a gift yet since I dunno how it will turn out ;D

Thanks for an inspiration!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilmouse View Post
    I have made several of the double slice layer cake and I love the pattern; goes together quickly and easily and you can actually make one with yardage and only need about 6 - 7 different fabrics and it works out pretty that way as well...the only thing I do is add some solid colors to it to help rest the eyes....with some of the layer cakes it can get pretty busy!
    i actually boaught a 10'' ruler just for that, and I like the idea of using fewer colors. How many squares do you usually cut out?

Lorie