Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

View Poll Results: Grace Frame Quilting...yes or no?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're awesome, go for it!

5 100.00%
  • Save your money, they don't make quilting easier!

0 0%
  • Wait & invest in a true longarm setup.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grace Frame Opinions & Reviews, please

Sometimes I need to read posts before I answer. I voted a big 'go for it'. However, having had a Grace Inspira set up with my regular sewing machine I can say this: IT DEFINITELY ISN'T WORTH THE SPACE IT TAKES UP. Even though I have a large throat on my sewing machine (about 10 inches), I found on the frame I could only sew about three inches before I had to re-roll my sandwich. AND, if I needed to use my regular machine I had to go through all the disconnects to remove it - I truly didn't feel that the back and forth with the machine (computerized) was doing it any good.

So, I HEREBY CHANGE MY VOTE: Wait until you can afford a long-arm machine, do your research and buy the best you can afford with it's compatible frame.

Meanwhile, remember that you can send out a whole lot of quilts for the price of a quilting machine and frame . . . just saying.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Sometimes I need to read posts before I answer. I voted a big 'go for it'. However, having had a Grace Inspira set up with my regular sewing machine I can say this: IT DEFINITELY ISN'T WORTH THE SPACE IT TAKES UP. Even though I have a large throat on my sewing machine (about 10 inches), I found on the frame I could only sew about three inches before I had to re-roll my sandwich. AND, if I needed to use my regular machine I had to go through all the disconnects to remove it - I truly didn't feel that the back and forth with the machine (computerized) was doing it any good.

So, I HEREBY CHANGE MY VOTE: Wait until you can afford a long-arm machine, do your research and buy the best you can afford with it's compatible frame.

Meanwhile, remember that you can send out a whole lot of quilts for the price of a quilting machine and frame . . . just saying.
    I appreciate your reply! So, as I understand it, even if one can only quilt 3" rows at a time, it still may allow for a more even stitching because you are going side to side. When I fmq on my machine, the space I can quilt without moving the quilt too far is maybe a 10" block area. Would it then be like trading a square area of quilting space for the 3" of quilting space THE ENTIRE width of the quilt? Still seems easier than fighting the quilt. Sandy, I will never send my quilts out...so it's a matter of how i will quilt them myself...moving the quilt or moving the machine. I'm thinking that for the $1200 or so I'll spend on this, it is a worthwhile investment to even see if I want to go ahead with the $10K plus Gammill I'm considering. I can always sell it when I want to upgrade. That being said, I value your opinion and will add it to my pros & cons list!
    Angie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a1angiem View Post
    I appreciate your reply! So, as I understand it, even if one can only quilt 3" rows at a time, it still may allow for a more even stitching because you are going side to side. When I fmq on my machine, the space I can quilt without moving the quilt too far is maybe a 10" block area. Would it then be like trading a square area of quilting space for the 3" of quilting space THE ENTIRE width of the quilt? Still seems easier than fighting the quilt. Sandy, I will never send my quilts out...so it's a matter of how i will quilt them myself...moving the quilt or moving the machine. I'm thinking that for the $1200 or so I'll spend on this, it is a worthwhile investment to even see if I want to go ahead with the $10K plus Gammill I'm considering. I can always sell it when I want to upgrade. That being said, I value your opinion and will add it to my pros & cons list!
    Angie
    Angie, I completely support what you say - and you are correct in that you have a 3" space (it may be longer depending upon the throat in your machine) but it is the width of the quilt. So, as long as your quilt is squared you are doing well. And it is (in my opinion) much easier to load your sandwich than it is to fight with a whole quilt on a table that may or may not be large enough to support your work. It is definitely easier on your wrists. I did, however, think the change-out time of my regular sewing machine was not worth the effort. And, as mentioned above, I certainly was afraid of damage to the computer components as my machine is quite heavy. Now, if I had another, work-horse machine that was totally reliable I'd probably kept my short Inspira frame.

Given that, here's my only other advice - make sure that the frame you buy is compatible with your 'dream' long arm. And since it appears that your choice would be the Gammill (wish I'd gone that route) then make sure the frame you buy now will work with it, or at least have a good resale value if you part with it.

Happy Quilting!!

Oh, and if you don't mind, why wouldn't you consider sending a quilt out? Expense, time it would be gone, safety of perhaps mailing it, cost, quality . . . .just curious.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Angie, I completely support what you say - and you are correct in that you have a 3" space (it may be longer depending upon the throat in your machine) but it is the width of the quilt. So, as long as your quilt is squared you are doing well. And it is (in my opinion) much easier to load your sandwich than it is to fight with a whole quilt on a table that may or may not be large enough to support your work. It is definitely easier on your wrists. I did, however, think the change-out time of my regular sewing machine was not worth the effort. And, as mentioned above, I certainly was afraid of damage to the computer components as my machine is quite heavy. Now, if I had another, work-horse machine that was totally reliable I'd probably kept my short Inspira frame.

Given that, here's my only other advice - make sure that the frame you buy is compatible with your 'dream' long arm. And since it appears that your choice would be the Gammill (wish I'd gone that route) then make sure the frame you buy now will work with it, or at least have a good resale value if you part with it.

Happy Quilting!!

Oh, and if you don't mind, why wouldn't you consider sending a quilt out? Expense, time it would be gone, safety of perhaps mailing it, cost, quality . . . .just curious.
    I just love the quilting process and wouldn't want to ever give that up! All this research and agony is just to find a way to do the quilting even more easily than fmq on my machine! My hubby is convinced this is a good step to take (versus my desire to spend $10K on the Gammill! lol!) and since he's so supportive, I figure it's worth a try. Now, whether or not my Horizon FITS on the carriage, despite their assurances, has me a bit worried but I can't seem to find out the size of the new carriage platform. Keep ya posted, it may just be delivered in time for next weekend!

5. Thanks TriciaHiggins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Angie... i'm on my way out to Joann's... DH taking me,,, after hip thingy, i won't be long... but need a "shop fix" and getting ready for my 2012 Christmas ornament stuff...

The 3",, and i believe it's more like 6" for every "crank".. it's well worth it... i have the Grace Pinnacle... set up to the king size... really cramped my sewing room, but the crib set up didn't allow enough fun....and i won't as DH to dismantale it again!!!
    I too would NEVER pay the price for a longarmer to do my stuff,, i'm a "good enough" worker and cannot justify that cost... plus i want the "start to finish" to be all mine....
    Your Horizon will give you extra space to work in,,, and "stuffing the quilt and twisting",,, made me so angry with the whole process,,, i think it took me only 2 quilts to go out and buy my set-up.... I'm retired and have the advantage of "getting what i want",, but i don't waste any money on anything... not my style!!!!
    The Craig's list sounds super, but i wanted a dealer and have one within 15 miles... he sold me the Janome1600 with the Pinnacle, shelves and rails,,, panto, stylis and other goodies,,all i need for 3,150.00 I was pleased with this,, have had it for about 3 years or more and love it... there is a learning curve,, and i do want to try the stitch regulator (didn't get that)....
    I know you will love having it,,, and the only thing i would recommend is seriously thinking about a "good high speed" simple machine (perhaps used) to stay sitting on the frame... i don't think it's a big deal to take on and off, but i would not enjoy that i know for sure... good luck... hugs Babs!!!!
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with the Grace Company and they said that the Horizon is a tight fit but will fit........that sort of scares me too. I am looking at buying a frame for quilting, but don't know what to buy!!!!