Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm a new quilter need some suggestions

Hi I started quilting last year and have made four quilts so far. What I want to do now is start learning a little more about free motion quilting. So far on my quilts its been straight lines been wanting to do something a little different for my next one. Any suggestions on where I could go online or what to read that would help? I've got an 80 x 80 in Harley themed quilt that I'm working on now but no clue how to actually quilt it. I'll probably end up doing the straight lines and outing the blocks again like I've done before because its a birthday present and its due on the 30th. Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
    Last edited by dinkey7997; October 21st, 2012 at 10:52 AM.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'm a new quilter need some suggestions

go to www.leahday.com. IMHO she is the best teacher out there. There are others on youtube that are good as well but for the basics you can't beat Leah. She even tells you how to convert your darning foot into a super fmq foot and how to set your manchine. I do a lot of fmq (free motion quilting) and this is the site I learned it from.
    I took up Quilting and gave up cooking!
    Dena

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can also go on Craftsy.com. They have some FMQ classes as well.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If it is your first time FMQ'ing...I'd suggest meandering. THat is where I started. FMQ'ing is hard at first butonly cause you have to work out the kinks and figure how to get the hands moving in sync with the needle and all that. I was a SITD'er only for awhile, but got so tired of that and that is when I learned about meandering. I am now trying to learn about the more intricate designs, but having a problem in that I can't get the large quilt (twin) to move freely enough in the machine and still make those specific designs. I watch the videos and they show doing in on a small piece 20x20ish..and yeah, I can do it on that small too, but on a twin size quilt...with all the bulk to deal with... I can't make the quilt move freely enough to make the intricate designs....and I have not been able to find a video that actually SHOWS someone doing a specific FMQ stitch design on a large quilt. THey show HOW to get started and all, but never actually doing it..on a regular machine! Good luck tho...the meandering is great and quick and even fun!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi dinkey, I came across this site a few days ago. It has a whole list of links to tutorials and info about FMQ. Be sure to check out what Dena mentioned. Leah Day's adjustment on darning foot is VERY helpful. Quilting Daily also has a free e-book to download with FMQ info. Good Luck with the FMQ!

http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/2012/0...-quilting.html

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the suggestion I actually had found the leah day website once before, but didn't rember the name. I'll check out the other too.

Coffeebreak, on this same site she has a video where she shows how she fmq a large quilt the link is below if your interrested.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/freem...tingbasics.htm

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, am new to FMQ. The best advice is just to relax and play with it. I can meander, but that's all so far. It's a start. The more you do it, the better it gets. Start small-- lap size--

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I HIGHLY recommend the CRAFTSY class "Beyond Basic Machine Quilting" with Ann Petersen. I really learned so much and got lots of practice with the class project - and now I can even do feathers!!! The design is not my cup of tea but it sure made you learn those stitches! If you are interested, go to my website and use the link I have there because it's for 50% off the class price! It's down the right side of my blog page, you have to scroll down a bit and then just click on it and it takes you right there. The classes are awesome and not very expensive and you have them/'own' them forever so you can take as much time as you like. You can also search my blog for the post(s) I've done about that particular class...here are some links and you can see my piece and how much I learned!:
    http://www.overthekitchencounter.com/
    http://www.overthekitchencounter.com...-quilting.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_7498.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	30346