Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Easy Irish Chain not using jelly rolls

I have watched Jenny's tutorial quite a few times. My sister in law and I are going to make this for a special friend we share. It is her 50th wedding anniversary. The directions are for jelly rolls. I want to use yardage instead. Not sure how much fabric to buy. We also don't want to make a twin size. We would like to make a lap quilt size. We are having some of the solid squares embroidered with all there children's names and birth dates. Included will be their parents, and grandchildren. We will have 14 solid squares embroidered. So if anybody can help me I would be very greatfull.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Easy Irish Chain not using jelly rolls

Whatcha need help with, Penny66? sizes of blocks or amount of fabric? I thought at first you wanted help doing some embroidery work.. ?? Hugs, Granny

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this can help you figure out your yardage but you can cut 7 2-1/2" jelly roll strips from 1/2 yard of fabric. How big your chain patches need to be would depend on how big your embroidered squares would be, and also how many colors you would be using in the chain. Not enough information in your post to really help you figure out yardage.

How big do you want it to end up?
    How big are your embroidered squares?
    How many colors will you use in the chains?

SwedishLeo (Annika) has made several in the past month, maybe PM her to ask how much fabric she used. Hers turned out so pretty.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Amount of fabric to puchase. Thanks Granny

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

The embroidered squares will be 6 1/2 inches. The 9 patch will be 2 1/2 inches by wof. I want it to be a large lap quilt . I was afraid a twin would be too big. What are your ideas. I'ld like to use white, pale aquas and peach for the nine patches and solid white for the 6 1/2 inch squares and the binding would be white. The backing I would like to find a pale aqua and peach floral with white.I'll see if I can contact Swedish Leo.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I dont know if i can be any help but here is what i did. I watch jennys tutorial. and i bought yardage and cut strips out of it. After i made the 9 patch , i messurade it and cut out a square with seamallowence included to match the size of the 9 patch.
    For the fabric, i dont know how much i had to start with beacuse i did not buye it by the yard but in a lot. I estimate that i had maybe 2 - 2 1/2 yard of the purpleblue fabric and close to 3 yards of the grey.

The quilt ended up beeing (without borders ) aprox: 57,08" by 65,74" in size

Here is a pic.

Hope it helps in some way.

Good Luck
    Annika
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00001-001.JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	29039  

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Annika, I still think this is one gorgeous quilt! You do excellent work with small pieces! I am in awe of that skill! I like working with big pieces!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Annika, That is a good idea to make 9 patch and then cut the squares to fit. That will take a little bit of time but it will be worth it.I have a chart I just foundFlying Geese Quilt Quild that figures out how many 6 1/2" squares in a yard of fabric = 30 squares. So I'll buy some extra fabric for the background squares and extra fabric for the 9 patch. According to the chart I can get 7 strip out of a half yard.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Annika, I still think this is one gorgeous quilt! You do excellent work with small pieces! I am in awe of that skill! I like working with big pieces!
    Thank you Jean! I am in love with your patternista quilt that you made a while ago! It is a stunner!!

Hope your black machine is runnig smothely. I have talked to the shop where i got my machine and we agreed on that i take pic of the trouble and email him and he take a look. He thought it might be that the feed dog droops to much and that it might be fairely easy to fix. I am gonna do this some time next week.
    I let you know how it progress
    Hugs Annika

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this might help. This has the single, double and triple Irish Chains. Doesn't give yardage, but you should be able to back into it . I made a crib size single chain, and used 2 yds of the dark ( including the binding) and 2 yds of the white. Had some left overs, but I always buy too much. I'm cutting challenged.

http://www.quilt.com/Blocks/IrishChain/IrishChain.html

11. Thanks GinnyKNC thanked for this post