Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is Your Good News Story ??!!

Hi everyone, I posted a good news story from our area yesterday.......and I just read the one JanLuna posted......it got me thinking that most of us probably have a "good story" of something that has been done for us or our families. Maybe we could all share one with each other as an encouragement to forum friends that are going through a rough time. This is my "good news" story.

Seventeen years ago my DH & I decided we needed to paint our house.....so we started the long process of scraping layers of old paint (by hand) to prepare for painting. We worked on this around our jobs so it was going to take awhile. During that time my DH was diagnosed with cancer & needed to start treatment. He was not feeling sick....but we knew the house painting would have to wait so the treatments could start. A friend/co-worker of his told him not to worry about it. This friend organized a bunch of my husbands co-workers to come and finish the scraping and painting for us. When my DH told me this I told him, that's wonderful.......my next thought was...I need to feed everyone....what should I fix. Later that day we were told not to worry about food....another co-worker was bringing a BBQ pit and would cook burgers for everyone. It was a huge relief to me! We were able to help with the painting some too....but with all the extra help it allowed us the time to make arrangements and get ready for DH's treatments. I remember the first day they started showing up to help...I was helping scrape the house and I would teary eyed every time someone else turned in the driveway! It meant so much to us to have that burden taken care of by people that cared about my husband!

What is your "good story"....

2. Thanks KathieB thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is Your Good News Story ??!!

I see no way I can top your story. Thanks for sharing!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don´t know if it qualife but when i was about 7 or 8 years old i used to pick flower from the counties flowerbed and go look for elderly women and give them the flowers beacuse i thought they needed it. I like to think i made someones day.

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

5. Thanks KathieB thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When our house burned down...back in the 90's....before I was widowed the first time - so many of our neighbors offered us a home the Red Cross left...said we didn't need them at all....another neighbor was making coffee and bringing it to the firefighters, all this in wind chill of -70 degrees below zero....also my local church raised over a $1000.00 for us with a membership of only a little over 200 souls....that's my good news story...I probably have others but can't recall right now!

7. Thanks KathieB thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is a feel good story but it seems a bit minor compared to the ones I've read. I want to share it anyway. When my youngest daughter was a senior in high school, I was a single mom of 3 (one in college). She was voted football homecoming queen, we were thrilled but I stayed up nights trying to figure out how on earth I was going to afford all the things that go with being "queen". At a football game prior to "the big one" the husband of a friend of mine came up to me and handed me an envelope. He said, "Don't ask, I'm just the messenger". A collection was taken up so my daughter's homecoming ceremony could be all she dreamed it would be. I was overwhelmed!!! It showed me how much my daughter was loved as a student, football manager and friend. It gave me such a wonderful feeling. BTW, she married "the king" and they are expecting their first baby next month!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful stories ladies, all of them! I don't really have any stories I can think of, we've always pulled together to help others in need, so there's not one story that sticks out in my mind because it's just such a common thing from my childhood. But there was a news story from the olympics that comes to mind and always makes me smile, it was a local boy who didn't like the rules at the Olympics, so he tried to change them

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ic-relay-team/
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

These are such great stories.......you all have put a smile on my face! Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

One that comes to mind is several years old. DH and I were not working around Christmas time. He was laid off and I was between jobs. We managed to get the kids a few things for Christmas, but didn't have money for a tree. This house has never seen an artificial one, lol. Any way a few days before Christmas my Sis and her BF, went to a little place by my parents, and bought the last real tree they had. It was about 4' tall and crooked as all get out. We put it on top of a round table we had and had to prop the stand up with phone books so it would look straight. I cried like a baby when she showed up with it. My life has been blessed with many feel good stories, but this is one that stands out in my mind every time the holidays roll around.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My good news story is recently when I took Brandon his quilts his mom was showing me an arm device that she wanted for Brandon(so he could eat independently) but it was wayyyy to expensive.$400.00 to be exact.So I took a picture with DD phone, showed it to my BIL.(Jean you have met Paul) he started working on one for Brandon and within 2 weeks he had made one exactly like what was in the book they were looking at but couldn't afford. Paul took it to Brandon and he has been using it everyday since!! NO CHARGE!! I love it when a plan comes together!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of stories, things people have done for us, when our house burned down. The things that people have done for my Emily. People can be so amazing! The quilts and gifts that you all sent for my DGD's. I have had so many blessings over the years. And hopefully, we have been a blessing to others as well. Thank you. I love you all. Hugs, Jan L.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>