Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tip 4 U FMQ'ers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5801.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	27411

Am hoping this will help some of you HOME FMQer's who do those large size quilts.
    While working on FMQ my twin size quilt, Starry Night, I was wearing myself out and got such neck, arm & back pain that I was only able to sew on it for very short periods. The Gloves, the strain of pushing fabric around... OyyVeyy!!
    So looking around my little nitch, I saw my large wood hoops for Hand Quilting and taking the 14 inch hoop I tested it to see if it would fit onto my machine.

Name:	DSCN5788.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	27405

It did!! so I changed out my walking foot for a regular one.. put away my gloves for feeding and moving fabric thru the machine and found this method was much easier for me to do some shadow sewing inside my stars.

Name:	DSCN5791.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	27406 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5794.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	27407 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5795.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	27408 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5799.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	27409 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5800.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	27410

This gives me a Straighter line than the other "gloved" method.. I can sew longer and not have to fight the fabric to get it laying FLAT before sewing over it... WHO KNEW!!

For a better view of photos.. just click on one and you can get the whole lot showing up.

And If you have some back saving tips, Please share with us here...

2. Thanks Sharon G thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tip 4 U FMQ'ers

What a fantastic idea! I'll have to track down a wooden hoop and give it a go.
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Meli, I think any hoop would work as long as it could accomodate your quilt.. *2 layers of fabric and batting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea....will have to suggest this to my daughter whom I am sure at some time will be trying FMQ

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out these octihoops! There's a demo. Scroll down a bit and click on one of the pics. They aren't cheap but it looks like an easy way to FMQ to avoid the strain some of you are experiencing. She demonstrates painting with thread first and then demos FMQ with these interesting hoops. $85.00 is a lot to spend for hoops but if you're a serious FMQer it might be worth it. Certainly would be a nice gift from Santa.

http://www.creativefeet.com/
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; September 1st, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looks interesting, thank you for sharing.
    Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone. . . Not your housework!!

Leonie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did this a few years back and ruined the motherboard on my machine. Very costly mistake. Just make sure you have plenty of room so it can move around and not get bogged down in the least little bit. It doesn't surprise me that I screwed it up..lol..but I'm to afraid to try it again
    Patrice

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    Check out these octihoops! There's a demo. Scroll down a bit and click on one of the pics. They aren't cheap but it looks like an easy way to FMQ to avoid the strain some of you are experiencing. She demonstrates painting with thread first and then demos FMQ with these interesting hoops. $85.00 is a lot to spend for hoops but if you're a serious FMQer it might be worth it. Certainly would be a nice gift from Santa.

http://www.creativefeet.com/
    I'm going to try them! However, they aren't $85 in the US, they are way more. It is a method I used 25 years ago (with the regular embroidery hoop) to do thread painting, I got pretty good at it, so, I'll see if I can still do it. Thanks for the link!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The class I took at the Hershey Quilt Show while we were doing FMQ suggested this, especially with working with a small area to fill in. The hoops, if we wanted to buy one from her were $15.00. Actually, you could use any hoop but it should have the screw on it to make it tighter on your fabric. I did try it and personally, didn't like it. Of course, I didn't have that much time in the class to give it much of a chance. So perhaps when I am not on a time crunch, I could try it again. Some of the gals loved it!
    Hugs,

T
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

May have to give this a try. Not sure if 14" hoop will fit though. But I also have a 12 x 7 oval that may work too.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......