Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hello from Sewbee!

Hi Everyone! Just joined up and excited to start learning lots of quilting tips and great projects to try. I have been a longtime sewer of clothes but am brand new to quilting. Finally replaced my 38 year old sewing machine (wedding present) with a new computerized model a few months ago for general sewing and crafting.

I started out trying my hand making a flannel rag quilt for a baby gift but then I discovered MSQC on Youtube and LOVE the videos! There are so many projects I want to try I am getting ahead of myself buying tools and fabrics. Just ordered my first Daily Deal today and can't wait to try some of the great ideas from this site!

I LOVE looking at everyone's project pics and just started my own photo album also. The rag quilt is all I have to show so far but hopefully will be adding more soon. I think MSQC will be a huge help as I try to figure my way through the quilters maze!
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

Batting Beauty

I live in two places. In the fingerlakes of New York and in Cana,Virginia.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello from Sewbee!

Welcome to MSQC ...glad to have you
    One Moment at a time

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Sewbee, Jenny's tutorial videos are great, and the ladies here are friendly and helpful, enjoy the site.

I took a look at your raggy quilt photos, they are fabulous, if thats your first quilt, you have a bright and productive future ahead. Those flannels are just gorgeous, I especially love the hat, did you have a pattern or was it a 'make it up as you go' thing?
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Hello from Sewbee!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Those flannels are just gorgeous, I especially love the hat, did you have a pattern or was it a 'make it up as you go' thing?
    Thanks Dragonfly! I used a Butterick Pattern B5056 for the hat and adjusted the construction so that the seams were on the outside. I only had small remnants left for the brim so had to piece that in 4 sections. I used the same gingham flannel as lining inside the hat as I used for the back of the quilt. It turned out cute but a little big for the intended baby...hopefully she will grow into it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BABY RAG HAT INSIDE LINING.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	1367

I thought the rag quilt worked up pretty fast since it was easy cutting and sewing simple seams which I am used to. But I just started a 22" x 22" Autumn Star pieced wall hanging quilt kit to practice rotary cutting triangles, sashes and basic piecing and it is MUCH harder for me. I bought a 1/4" piecing foot for my sewing machine and that helps but it is harder than I thought to match up all the seams and get the pattern to come together properly. Not sure how this next project will turn out but that is why I started with a small kit....practice, practice, practice!
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Triangles may not have been the best place to start, but I never tell a person they shouldn't attempt something that takes their fancy, if they like it, they are more likely to finish it. Good luck with the quilt, if you need any help or tips, this is the place to come.

Thankyou for the info on the hat, I may try and find it, I have a 4 yo granddaughter who loves hats and her mother is currently making raggy quilts so there will undoubtedly be leftovers to play with.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Hello from Sewbee!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura108 View Post
    Welcome to MSQC ...glad to have you
    Thanks Laura! I'm so glad I found this site!
    Linda

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Hello from Sewbee!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Triangles may not have been the best place to start, but I never tell a person they shouldn't attempt something that takes their fancy, if they like it, they are more likely to finish it. .
    LOL...I'm finding that out! I am attracted to projects with certain colors and patterns, and tend to jump right into the thick of things whether I am ready or not! Its a quilt kit with a Fall theme using harvest colors that would look good on my wall so thought I would give it a shot. I will definitely ask for help as I go along.
    Thanks Lynn!
    Linda

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I too get ahead of myself buying goodies coz I'm so excited about making things ... I need to spend time catching up now!

Welcome to the board and can't wait to see your work!
    *HUGS* and Alohas, Bridgette

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog
    http://hapamomquilts.blogspot.com