Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tip of the Day

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Tip of the Day

Neat tips. I don't like the soap idea but I do like the one with the sand and I like the picture on the label. You are right historians would love it as would family members.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Tip of the Day

I think it is interesting to see some of the creative things people think of to try to solve little problems.
    Probably no soap on my quilting pins, but I'll be looking to see if there are any others that prove helpful!

I have been known to write on the selvedge edge of a piece of fabric how long it is and who/what it is for while I wait at the cutting table for the other things to be cut. (ie. 1.25yd/Nicole's Pinwheels) That way if I don't get to that project right away, I can remember what it was for. Sometimes I change my mind about a color/pattern and then I know how big that leftover piece of fabric really is.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tip of the Day

This could be a great topic to check everyday! I love a great new (or old) idea!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Tip of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    Remember these aren't my ideas! Here is today's: (usually they are very good, but the last two days haven't been the best)

QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: Have someone take a picture of you working on a quilt, then print the picture onto a plain piece of fabric. Add your name, date, and any other information pertinent to the quilt. Now you have a beautifully personalized label!
    Ok heres my problem with this tip. I have really short hair so when I wake up I have extreme bed head. Lots of times I only get to sew in the am. A pic of me like that would scare anyone away from quilting, lol. The picture idea is a good thought, thanks

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

LOL....mmmmm that would be a no! I come in after work and put on T-shirts and sweats, cook supper and then start my projects! No pictures of this little short NM Lady that weighs a tad too much.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

QUILTER'S TIP OF THE DAY: If you take your quilt to work so that you can sew the binding in your lunch break, check that nobody has put a slice of cake on your desk before you put it down on top!

Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How sad for you quilt and the slice of cake. Maybe you could try some of this new quilt/fiber wash I found. It is called "Soak". According to the lady at the LQS you use about 5mL in one of the newfangled "He" front loader wash-machines and a full packet (10mL) in a standard water-guzzler machine. It says you don't have to rinse it out, but I would think that you want to get the cake off first. I think it is packaged for handwashing items, but I am going to give it a try. It is supposed to leave a light fragrance to your washables. You can check it out at soak.com. I just picked it up two days ago and haven't had a chance to use it myself. I'll let you know how it works when I do get around to trying it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: If you’re looking for an inexpensive storage container for your many spools of thread, a storage box made for Matchbox cars is ideal. The container is double-sided & divided into 48 compartments, each of which will hold a spool or two of thread. Generic ones are a better buy; just make sure to take a spool of thread along to double check the size of the compartments.

Sorry to be late in posting. Jr took care of it the hard way. I am so sorry Jr!! Above the 'other' tip of the day.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Hillbilly I like the tip for the day. I may or maynot use them but like to read them and like to see what others think of them too. I have heard of using soap on zippers and pins all my life to help sharpen them and to help them not snag. Years ago they didn't put so much stuff in products like they do now.
    Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

A bar of soap applied to a drawer inside helps it glide easily if it sticks.
    Quilting is good therapy.