Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Backdoor Bear

WOW! So fabulous.
    Tortugaquilter

2. Thanks Koda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is beautiful. Would love to try something like that but don't dare. Does the pattern give you stitching instructions or is that all you?
    Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

4. Thanks Koda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep hoping I'll get motivated to give an art quilt a try. This one turned out very nicely. Your right! the quilting really adds to depth to the design.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

6. Thanks Koda thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobw103 View Post
    Love it. Are they difficult and probably not for beginners or the faint of heart huh?
    Actually, I have never done one before this one. The directions are very simple, if you can applique a circle, you can do this project. It just takes a little longer to cut the individual pieces because a lot of the detail is in the edges.

Namaste,
    Koda

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loonwatcher View Post
    That is beautiful. Would love to try something like that but don't dare. Does the pattern give you stitching instructions or is that all you?
    No, Toni Whitney's pattern did not come with stitching instructions. The pattern had a photograph of her finished work to use as a guide if you wanted. And if you could SEE it. LOL. Apparently my bi-focals are not that strong. I just considered what the texture of fur and leaves would look like and put that machine in free motion and I was on my way.

Namaste,
    Koda

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

This is really cool! I never knew these were out there. I would love to make a deer one for my cousin who just got home from Kuwait. Where did you find the pattern? How did you adhere the fabric?, do you have to finish off the edges of the fabric, or does it fray and look like fur? very cool, thanks for sharing!

10. Thanks Koda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love your bear and I absolutely love wildlife quilts. I don't do much applique anymore, but think it's beautiful.

12. Thanks Koda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I love it (them)!
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

14. Thanks Koda thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Long View Post
    This is really cool! I never knew these were out there. I would love to make a deer one for my cousin who just got home from Kuwait. Where did you find the pattern? How did you adhere the fabric?, do you have to finish off the edges of the fabric, or does it fray and look like fur? very cool, thanks for sharing!
    Hi Susan,

Toni Whitney has at least one deer pattern (or you can purchase the kit with fabric and pattern together), and I think Carl Bender also has a deer pattern in his collection. Some quilting shops have these in stock, but Toni Whitney has a website (www.toniwhitneydesigns.com) that you can purchase from directly.

The edges are left raw (patterns are called raw edge applique if you are searching for others) and you stitch along the edges to secure the fabric after adhering it with your choice of fusible webbing.

If you do choose to work on one, please post photos.

Namaste,
    Koda

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koda View Post
    Hi Susan,

Toni Whitney has at least one deer pattern (or you can purchase the kit with fabric and pattern together), and I think Carl Bender also has a deer pattern in his collection. Some quilting shops have these in stock, but Toni Whitney has a website (www.toniwhitneydesigns.com) that you can purchase from directly.

The edges are left raw (patterns are called raw edge applique if you are searching for others) and you stitch along the edges to secure the fabric after adhering it with your choice of fusible webbing.

If you do choose to work on one, please post photos.

Namaste,
    Koda
    I just tried to bring up the website and it said, This site is under construction. I guess I will wait until tomorrow and see If I can get it. I wonder if it's just my computer.
    Last edited by ILove2quilt; August 13th, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: I forgot to say something. Your quilt is beautiful.
    Ginger snaps

17. Thanks Koda thanked for this post