Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Old Kemore good to learn how to quilt on?

I have a 1967 Kenmore workhorse and a cheap Singer. The Kenmore has all the attachments and decorative cams. Do you think it is worth learning to quilt on this machine or wait until I get a better machine in 6 months? I do not want to get totally frustrated if I am trying an impossible task for this machine

The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Old Kemore good to learn how to quilt on?

What do you say girls?! Is it ever not worth learning!

I think you'll be fine! The only thing you'll want to watch out for is making sure you get 1/4" seams you can do this by measuring it out from your needle when it's in it's base point and marking a line on your machine with tape or something else, or you can get a 1/4" presser foot for your machine... I don't know for sure but I don't think those are universal from machine to machine are they? You may want to make sure you get one that is designed for your machine. ( I'm thinking if opening needle positions are different or I don't know what else :? )

Otherwise, Grab some fabric, find a tutorial, and have some fun! Let us know how it goes! Or if you have more questions!

What does everyone else think... she's good to go right Has anyone else struggled learning on an older machine?
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I say, if your machine can sew a straight seam....use it! and have lots of fun! although, you will be very pleasantly surprised how much easier it is to make a quilt on a newer more "quilt-friendly" model. But, don't wait...start practicing now! That way you'll be ready when you get your new machine!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Husquvarna sewing machine when I was seventeen!! It was fabulous and new. It became old under my watch. You could say we grew up together. At 40 It finally wouldn't hold the tension without major repairs and so we bought a new one. If your machine sews with good tension, quilting is the easiest thing to do as you just need to sew a straight seam, at 1/4 inch of course. I Also think some of these old heavier machines are better than some of the new ones!