Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backing

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backing

Hi everyone

I need help. I am making the Phoebe quilt and I am very pleased with it. My question is the backing ... I have the fabric and of course it is not wide enough. I have 4 yards and I am waiting for more to come in. What is the best way to piece. Since I will have enough fabric I was thinking to have one seam down the middle. What is the best way to piece it.

Grace

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Backing

One seam down the middle would fine, but I would probably use one width of fabric and then add enough width from the other piece. That will leave you with one larger piece for another quilt, rather than two narrower pieces. I would say it also depend on the pattern in your fabric - would it look best matched or does that not matter?

I'm interested to see what others have to say on this subject, but I would say there is not real right or wrong way to do this. Post pictures when you are done!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I have to piece a back, I cut one of my lengths in half (long ways) and sew each half of that to my solid piece. I end up with 2 seams, but it isn't right in the middle of the quilt. (so you would have a 42" piece in the center and a 21" piece on each side of the 42" piece).
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have done one seam down the middle and it's been okay, but I prefer to split the second piece of fabric and seam it on each side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pieced back.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	49998
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    I have done one seam down the middle and it's been okay, but I prefer to split the second piece of fabric and seam it on each side.

Name:	pieced back.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	49998
    Yes- the second picture is what I was trying to describe. Thank you Karen.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Excuse my drawing, I'm really bad at the paint program. I'm trying to finish up a rainbow Chinese coin in batiks (pretend the stripes are batiks lol) I went horizontal instead of vertical.

Name:	back of quilt.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	50033

Lorie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your help. I am going to piece ...one in the middle and then on the sides. It seem to be nice that way and I also like the idea of coining in the middle. I will show pictures when I finish it.

Grace

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I sewed the pieces together . My next question is do you press the seams open or to the sides.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it both ways, but I think to one side makes for a bit stronger seam.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Karen on pressing to one side. The open seam is relying on the strength of the threads to hold it together through many washings and much snuggling.

Remember to cut off the selvedges as they can pucker since they are woven more tightly.

I have also used a row of blocks to make the backing wider when it's really close. In the case of Laura's quilt I added a strip with her name and a couple of borders to make the fabric I did have work. The coin type idea is a great way to use up the leftovers from the front and jazz up the back!
    Just a Little Bit More | Kids, Caprines, & Quilts
    A Quilt for Laura | Kids, Caprines, & Quilts

Happy backing!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com