Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do with pre-washed fabrics?

Have any of you ever, or would you ever, mix pre-washed fabrics with unwashed fabrics? I have some batiks that were pre-washed and I want to add them to fabrics that have not been washed. Can I do that or should I just wash the fabrics and move on? I have been rolling this around in my mind for weeks now. Why I didnít ask sooner is beyond me. What would you do?
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What would you do with pre-washed fabrics?

I started quilting 30 years ago when fabrics weren't always colorfast. I still wash my fabric as soon as it enters the house so that I know that all of my fabric has been washed. But I don't (you really can't) pre-wash jelly rolls or layer cakes and I mix those in with my other fabrics. I haven't had any trouble with it.
    Cyndi

ďHave courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.Ē - Victor Hugo

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Theda, No, I would never mix them because of the shrinkage factor, I prefer the smooth look to the antique slightly puckered look. I am, however, a prewasher but still like to see how others handle their fabrics. Strongly agree that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' with this.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there I'm new to quilting but have been sewing childrens clothes for many years (ebay and etsy). I alway's prewash because when you sell online you can advertise it won't shrink.It's sort of the normal thing to say. lol. Anyway, I would wash and have them all the same so they don't tighten up. I found with batiks to use a sharp needle and use a longer length on your machine thread. I do a lot of shirring and batik it such a strong fabric to work with. I won't work with chiffon anymore. Such a b*. lol

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a pre-washer for everything. I don't mix the two EXCEPT for pre cuts such as a jellyroll, charm pack or layer cake because it is such a nightmare. I do pre wash my fatquarters. Whenever I make something out of the other precuts, I have a knot in the pit of my stomach from the time I put it in the washer until I take it out of the dryer and inspect it. I haven't had any problems so far (knock on wood) but I just know that if I get to comfortable (lazy) that is when it will happen.

I prewash fabrics not just for the possibilities of running dyes or shrinkage. I am allergic to the chemicals used in the process of making and finishing the fabrics and when I touch unwashed fabrics for any amount of time, my hands become inflamed, red and itchy. I have a special cream I have to apply everytime after leaving the LQS.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. You’ve helped me a lot. I’ve always prewashed from the time I made my sons’ clothes way back when. I just kept it up when I started quilting. Then I used some precuts and loved the way they handled and stopped washing my fabrics. I think I will wash the rest of the fabric for my project just to be safe. Lorie, I’m glad you told me about the sharper needle and the longer stitch. This is my first time to use batiks and did not know that. You’ve probably saved me a lot of aggravation.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your so welcome. I'm glad I could help someone!

Most sewers that pick up batik for the first time thinks, wow it's really light weight and will be easy to work with. But unlike quilt fabrics it's really dence (tightly woven) so the needle becomes really important. Like don't use a sharp on a knit becauce it snags. We should have a needle thread!

Lorie

8. Thanks Daytonalady, mdenzine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mother, Seamstress Extraordinaire, ALWAYS washed every piece of fabric she brought into the house before she did anything with it. Up to this point, I've been too excited about starting to take the time. However, now that I have a stash (something I swore I never would do) and have projects I'm anxious to start, I will likely wash them, so that I know they're ready to go, and so I can feel like I'm gettin started on the next fun project.
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I've discovered it's a good idea to pre-wash the darker fabrics because of bleeding. I mix washed and non-washed. It doesn't seem to matter once the quilt is quilted and washed. I wash my quilts in cold water and I air-dry them. That could be why I'm not seeing much shrinking as suggested by others. I think the quilts hold up longer if they are washed in cold water. I think the dryer really takes a toll on quilts as time passes.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used to pre-wash all cotton. I was worried about bleeding colors and shrinking. Then I got some pre-cuts and was so worried about uneven shrinking between pre-cuts and pre-washed yardage, I washed a charm pack! Not fun.

Then I decided to make a quilt without pre-washing any of it. I was a nervous wreck waiting for it to come out of the wash to see if the colors bled! I did use color catchers.

First of all, the color catchers did work on the blues and yellows, no bleeding colors.

Second, there is NO difference AT ALL in the wrinkliness of the finished washed quilts.

I was expecting the unwashed one to be more "vintage" looking because if what I have heard about using unwashed fabric. Then I also made one with unwashed jelly rolls and pre-washed yardage. Again there is absolutely NO difference in the finished washed quilts.

I like the way pre-washed fabric feels, smells and behaves. Probably because it's what I am used to. I also get fabric from ebay that sometimes has been stored for a long time, or it's been sitting in my own room for a long time, and I like to wash it first before I spend hours handling it.

I have a quilt planned that will have a white background and bright bright colors on it. I have already started washing the colors. I had to wash the reds 3 times before the color catchers came out clean! I do NOT want any colors bleeding onto the white.

I won't worry about mixing pre-washed and unwashed anymore, but I'll still wash yardage when it comes in because I like working with it better.
    Cathryn