Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fixing a vexing problem

Many forum members guided me through the assembly and set up of my long arm machine. When I ran into a problem, Babs, Sandy, or Denis provided some great advice, tutorials, or online resources. I've quilted about 6 or 7 quilts so far, and I had a very vexing problem with the machine. It is stitch regulated with encoders. When it came to one section of the frame, it would just stop, like the encoders went out to lunch. If I went across this section very quickly, or from right to left ( it only happened when going from left to right), it didn't misbehave. I got advice from two dealers about possible solutions, neither of those ideas worked. So I removed the offending encoder, which had two spacers holding it in place. I put the spacers back on in a different configuration, and voila, the vexing problem went away!

I'm feeling kind of smugly proud of myself for fixing this myself! But more than that, I just glad the problem went away, because it made the quilting very bad in that place on the quilts. Whew!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fixing a vexing problem

Another mystery solved...!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Jean! Glad it is all better now.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

And now, that machine is officially YOUR machine. You took control and said,=hey machine, I'm gonna fix you! Well done. I loved it when I got to that point with my old sewing machine. Not sure I will ever get there with my new fancy machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RiverMomm View Post
    And now, that machine is officially YOUR machine. You took control and said,=hey machine, I'm gonna fix you! Well done. I loved it when I got to that point with my old sewing machine. Not sure I will ever get there with my new fancy machine.
    Yes, I fought the machine, and I WON! I was actually afraid that I would never solve this problem and have to deal with it all the time, and that would have made me a very unhappy camper. So, now I can move on to fix other issues!

6. Thanks dpa6460 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jean, I have to say you are quite a lady and very lucky. Sis and I are still FIGHTING with our quilter skipping stitches when it sews from bottom to top. We have consulted our dealer, sent the machine for overhall, been told it was 'perfect', changed the encoder cable once, changed the encoders THREE times and it still skips stitches. Technician can't get to it until this coming Thursday. I'm ready to trash the whole thing. Be proud that you have hopefully solved your problem. We've tried EVERYTHING that has been recommended . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jean and her machine - both awesome now!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Jean, I have to say you are quite a lady and very lucky. Sis and I are still FIGHTING with our quilter skipping stitches when it sews from bottom to top. We have consulted our dealer, sent the machine for overhall, been told it was 'perfect', changed the encoder cable once, changed the encoders THREE times and it still skips stitches. Technician can't get to it until this coming Thursday. I'm ready to trash the whole thing. Be proud that you have hopefully solved your problem. We've tried EVERYTHING that has been recommended . . .
    I can only imagine your frustration. My encoders were really " floppy" and for some reason seemed to be losing contact with the track, by moving a plastic spacer, it now makes better contact with the track. I checked a real tin Lizzie at one of the shops, their encoders are floppy also, but not as bad as mine. Hope you guys can get your issues resolved, very frustrating, and too expensive to sit idle or sew badly. Who needs that?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jean so happy that you fixed this problem with your longarm...you are definitely a jack of all trades...you continue to amaze me with all that you do...
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Jean, Jean Sewing Machine, she can most anything. Glad you got it worked out.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......