Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Retreat favor ideas

Hi Fellow Quilters!

I run a retreat in Northern MI twice a year for my bee and a few additional friends. This November will be our 21st retreat. Since I do this as a volunteer (in other words, not for profit) I try to make inexpensive things for the gals as favors. Through the years I've done several pin cushions, snap bags, pocket kleenex holders and probably more that I can't think of right now. Sometimes I give away products such as "purple things", quilters pins and fat quarters. One year I found some nice toothbrush holders for 50 cents and gave them away with quilters pencils. Some of the gals still use them for pencils and such! I'm willing to try any idea because frankly, I'm out of ideas!

I had thought the deal of the day might work great - get some inexpensive charm packs but since you can only get one, well, that shot that idea down!

Does anyone have any ideas for something I can give the gals? My budget comes out of my own pocket so I'm thinking $2.50 to $3.00 a person would be good. I'm willing to put in the time making something if I can figure out what to make. I know quilters love pin cushions but gee, how many can we use? :-)

Does anyone have any ideas? Something they've seen or perhaps received at a quilting related event?

Thanks in advance!! I'm new to this site, taking a few minutes every night to read. I've already found an idea for a Christmas gift for my sister in law.

Julie

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Retreat favor ideas

Hi Julie

What Fun!!!!! I recently bought a pair of scissors and it came with a LANYARD. I found a web site that sells them and they are pretty inexpensive. It's kind of nice and although mine is made for my scissors and has a rubber cover that is attached to the lanyard, I think you could find something that can attach to the small scissors and the lanyard that allows you to stretch the scissors out to where you need to trim some thread etc...

Here is the website: http://www.namifiers.com/products/Lanyards.aspx?

Hope you find something fun and unusual for your retreat!

Karen

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

How about a coaster? You could make simple block designs from scraps about 6 inch square or even hexagons or octogons and use a relatively heavy batting. Or use an ironing board cover for the backing fabric. Make them all different, or all the same as the spirit and fabric moves you.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I like the lanyard idea. I saw some girls at a quilt show that had their scissors on lanyards made out of fabric that looked like tape measures. It looked really fun. I don't know where they got the fabric from but it was lovely.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Retreat favor ideas

Jenny shares the lanyard idea on one of the msqc tutorials!

I personnaly would hang myself if i had my snippet scissors around my neck all the time!! LOL

hugs, Suzi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pot holders maybe? They go quick and maybe put 2 to a pack.

Bookmarks. I've seen those patterns for free out there too. Instead of making them pieced, maybe you could just get some material with a sewing theme on them and make them as a whole piece. Just use something as a stabilizer so they aren't so flimsy and turn them right side out. Hmmm, maybe I'll make some of those myself.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning ladies, thanks for all the responses!

I love the lanyard idea and especially the ones using a tape measure fabric. I did some research and found one that uses fabric - cut two strips, seam the sides, turn and finish the ends. I'm wondering if I should use stabilizer on the fabric because it might stretch. I also checked out the premade ones and they're made with more of a canvas type (heavier duty) of material so I'm wondering if I should use grosgrain ribbon. I was unable to find the tutorial someone mentioned from MSQC on making a lanyard. I think a field trip to Joanns might be in order!

Speaking of lanyards, I was at a flea market a few years ago and bought one that was specifically made for water bottles. I bought it, wore it that day but haven't worn it since.

I used to make nametags for this group but making new ones every time got old. So a couple retreats ago I found someone with a cricut and she cut out the names, I laminated them and attached them with a clip to some mardi gras beads. Now I only have to make new nametags for new people. Why did it take me 9 years to figure that one out?

Your posts made me think about what I have done. I have done bookmarks. I've done rectangle ones using a stacked coin pattern (miniature!), I've done the ones that are triangular and fit on the corner of your page and I've done book "thongs". The gals loved the thongs . . . they're just a piece of cattail with beads on either end. The cattail goes through the spine of the book and the beads stick out the ends. I've also printed and laminated bookmarks where I put the date and theme of the next retreat on it gave it to them as they left.

I've done coasters too. For our western theme I made them out of old denim using ragged edges and stenciling a cowboy hat on them with a bleach pen. Worked great. Recently we had a puzzle theme and I made everyone a batik coaster with a nine patch resembling a sudoku.

I've also done potholders but just the ones that are sort of a heart shaped mit. I haven't done any square ones. That's a great idea to use an ironing pad for the silver part. I bought the quilted silver stuff and it was pretty expensive. I may save that idea for our March retreat.

Now you can see why I'm running out of ideas! Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I'm going to take the lanyard idea and run with it! The gals can use them for their snippers or for their keys.

I hope you all have a wonderful day. It's off to work I go!

Julie

8. Thanks kristible thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

sounds great! i thought of a ocuple other ideas but ask again in the spring and i will see if can remember then LOL
    tell us more about your retreat - is it in Michigan? I was born and raised in Kalamazoo!! Now in DeLand - near Daytona Beach Florida.

post pictures when you get the lanyards done - we want to see

hugs, Suzi

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey, your girls are very lucky. You obviously put a lot of time and thought into your gifts.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is the fabric I was thinking of, I think it's by American Jane.