Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default So... what else is breakable?

I am so bummed today. I broke my rotary cutter today and my mind ventrued to a different avenue yet still along the lines of quilting tools though. I wonder if anyone has ever had problems with the omnigrid brand rulers? I have 2 each of 12" square and 6" square rulers and were thinking of selling them at a garage sale but am not sure now. Should I keep them or sell them? (I dont know why I ended up with 2 12" rulers though cause I use it so often.)
    Finished is way better than perfect!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So... what else is breakable?

I have one omnigrid ruler, the 6 x 24 that has a corner that is chipped, small, but chipped. I believe I dropped it on cement right on that corner, otherwise, I don't think it would have chipped. Otherwise, I think they are pretty durable.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have two rooms for quilting, I would like to have supplies in each room. So duplicate rulers would not be a problem for me! I have chunked off corners on those rulers with really sharp rotary cutting blades. Two bad things, ruler is messed up and blade has a dull spot on it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jess, I have an omnigrid 6 " square ruler. It works pretty well for me. Sometimes I do catch the edge of it with my rotary cutter but I think that mostly "Operator" trouble! Can't really give a comparison because I don't have any others right now.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught the corner of my rulers too...but it was my fault and not the fault of the ruler or cutter.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used to take slices off of my rulers...when I changed brands of rotary cutter it rarely happens anymore...so you might want to try a different rotary cutter ...

7. Thanks dpa6460 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of the Omnigrid rulers. i don't like that they are shiny and I don't like the thick black and yellow marking lines. I have a 6" X 2" I think it is. I use it when I am marking my squares to make HST and I use it to cut them apart. I just think they are too "busy" for my tastes. I have a frosted 6" X 24" Olfa and I love it. I would have purchased an Olfa 6" x 2" ruler if the store had them when I was looking to purchase it.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait a minute! Back up the cart! You broke your rotary cutter? How the heck did you do that? I didn't think it was possible to break a rotary cutter. Do you mean you broke the blade?
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

must admit i not a fan of omnigrid dont like the green on them, always get mine from creative grids,, non slip clearly marked, and such a variety,, YES how did you break your rotary cutter,,

does anybody on here use trucut with the special raised side and cutters to go with them,,

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Trucut and LOVE it! I am not great a rotary cutting but its a snap with the TruCut. Yep-its pricey at first but you won't get the wonky . .. whoops I went over to the right . .. cuts. You prob won't cut yourself, either. Feels good in my hand.

My SIL told me the rulers tend to break but I have had mine for a few months and so far, no breaks. I have dropped the rulers a few times. I guess if you dropped the ruler on a hard floor and it hit the corner, the corner would break.

I am also wondering how Jess broke her cutter.