Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default We have done something that could turn out to be crazy!

Mr Daisy and I were talking last night about 'home' and both feeling a little homesick. There is a very special place for us, wild, windy and full of happy memories both for us as a couple and for me with the kids as they were growing up. It is a wild rocky bay on the coast of Northumberland, it looks out onto the north sea, the geology is amazing and the atmosphere spooky and stunning. On the top of the cliff is a cottage. We always said that one day we would buy this cottage and just be a part of the place we love so much.

Well obviously we can't buy the cottage lol but we discovered that we could rent it for a week! So we did!! It sleeps 6 and my eldest daughter and her partner are coming with us. Howick Bay is the place where Heather first became facinated with rocks and geology. She remembers it with such love it always bring a lump to my throat when she talks about it. It was my special place as a child and I took her there first when she was small. She will tell you that Howick Bay is the reason she is a geotechnic engineer.

Anyway, we booked the place........ in............. january!!! LOL LOL . We are totally insane! The weather will be freezing, the wind will be blowing us off our feet, but the seas will be high and rough, the air will be fresh, we will need a gazzilion layers and walk around like spacemen in their suits lol. But oh my it will be so amazing to be there, blow away all cobwebs and memories of a terrible couple of years.

We are putting our faith that Mr D will be well enough........and me for that matter. One of the hardest things on this journey of ours has been not being able to plan anything. One or other of us always in treatment, ill or about to be ill, never being more than 20 miles from an olcology unit. It has been so restricting our heads have been rebelling. So we have taken the risk of booking this. He should be 5 months out of chemo if all goes to plan (touches wood).

This is 'our place'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northum...ue/4716743222/

This is a photo of the house on top of the cliff..

http://www.northumberland-tales.com/Bathing-house.html

and this is the detals of it.
    http://www.northumbria-byways.com/viewitem.aspx?id=93

We are so excited!

2. Thanks aliaslaceygreen thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: We have done something that could turn out to be crazy!

Oh, that looks absolutely amazing.
    I perfectly understand yout longing for this place.

I always said, that if I would come to a lot of money I'd buy a small wooden house in south-sweden where I can sit and watch the sea all day.

Your photos look so wonderful, I would love it there too

So I hope for you, your family and especially for your dear Mr.D that you can spend a wonderful time there in January.
    Best wishes and Greetings
    Kerstin

I put my rootbeer in a square cup.... now it's just beer

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That would be awesome....love the views...grew up across the sea from Lake Michigan so I totally understand what you mean....will keep you both in prayers so you may go and thoroughly enjoy yourselves...bring plenty of "woolies"! Love you both

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How absolutely beautiful. I also hope you are all well by the time your stay rolls around. You might be wanting to take a stack of quilts with you.
    This might also be an opportunity to heal the wounds with your daughter [the bride/mother].

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sooooooooooooo happy for you! This place is unbelievable! I hope you have the time of your lives.
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How beautiful! My hubby is a hydrogeologist, so he would love this place too, no matter what time of year! I hope you have the vacation of a lifetime. I'd go at the drop of a hat for sure.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

AMAZING! I am excited too, looks lovely!
    Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.-Robert Louis Stevenson

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    How absolutely beautiful. I also hope you are all well by the time your stay rolls around. You might be wanting to take a stack of quilts with you.
    This might also be an opportunity to heal the wounds with your daughter [the bride/mother].
    My youngest daughter wont be coming unless she changes her mind about me before then. There is soace for her, her husband, baby and the dog if she does. I am not holding my breath

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

OH this took my breath away! How beautiful!!! You and your family are going to enjoy this so much and I'm betting this will improve both of your health!
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It looks absolutely amazing. It will give both of you something to look forward to -- a reward to get you through all the medical issues you're dealing with now. What a wonderful idea -- I hope you have the time of your life. I don't think it's a crazy idea at all.
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.