Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quilted bags?

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Quilted bags?

Hi there. I ordered the haunted Halloween charm layer cake with the intention of making a quilted trick or treat bag for my daughter. Cannot find a good quilted bag pattern. Anyone know of any good ones?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilted bags?

I made a messenger bag from a blog called Diary of a Quilter. It's not quilted but her instructions are very easy to follow. I'm just not sure if she has any quilted bags, but maybe. I know she has kids so maybe somewhere on the blog there is a quilted bag. Not sure if you were looking to buy a pattern or find something on the internet. So maybe this can help or maybe look at Moda Bake Shop they have lots of patterns.
    Shelia

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It would be really cute as a 'rag' bag even. Just buy a yard of something else for the backs and put them together as a rag rectangle, fold it together, sew along the edges, add a handle out of the lining fabric....Super cute! (I have some on hand. If you need a photo please allow until tomorrow as I am going to be gone all day.)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see the pictures of the bags if you have time to post them some time!! Thanks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many ways to "make a tote bag"... if you want it quilted... and you have charms... take a peek at the "pinwheel" or 1/2 square triangle" tuts here at MQ... this place is fantastic...
    once you learn that... i would just make a nice big square piece...and then search the web for a simple free tote pattern (free)... it still amazes me what's out thee... i am from the age of "expensive books and patterns"... the web is a god-send... have fun and good luck... bj

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pattern from Sew Baby called the Double Duty Bag. I bought at JoAnn with one of their discount coupons. You can buy the pattern from their website too. (www.sewbaby.com) You can probably construct "fabric" from the charm squares and then make the pattern from that. I'd line the pockets with a plain fabric since you don't want to snag the seams. I use denim, corduroy, and duck cloth with cottons.
    I have made this bag as a diaper bag for my daughter and many baby shower presents. I have also made them to be used as a knitting tote, lap top bag, market bag, and general stuff hauler by choosing appropriate fabrics. They are durable, washable, and hold a lot of stuff. The candy haul that would fit in a full size would be tremendous! You might be able to shrink it down a bit though.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    I would love to see the pictures of the bags if you have time to post them some time!! Thanks.
    i somehow missed this. I am sorry. Do you still want to see them, or did you make a bag yet?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Quilted bags?

Hi Hillbilly,
    I was not the original post to ask about the bags but I did ask to see the pics. Would still like to see them, maybe I could make one for my granddaughter. Thanks!

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and tips. I'm not yet certain what I will do but once I do and complete the bags I'll be sure to share the pics!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the rag bags. A tiny, med and larger size. I made these years ago when I had just started quilting, and they are so easy and fun to do!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bag.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	1212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bag2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bag3.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1214