Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginner block for a jelly roll and charm pack?

Hello!

So I am brand new to quilting. I have done 1 quilt, currently working a rag quilt for my friend who just had a baby. I would love to make a good sized throw and was going to do the fence rail. I also have a charm pack that I would like to incorporate. It is the Moda school days (I just love the coziness of the colors).

Any suggestions? FWIW, I LOVE the scrappy look...

TIA, Stacey

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beginner block for a jelly roll and charm pack?

I am not new to quilting, but am having the same dilema you are having. I, too, have a jelly roll and a charm pack and was wondering what to do with them. I was thinking about surrounding each charm with a solid color, and then surrounding that square with the jelly roll. I am working on something else right now, so I don't know when I would get started on this. Please post pictures as you finish quilts. We all love to see them.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You can make a framed square, which is one of my favorites! All you do is pair a charm with a strip. Cut 2 - 5" strips and 2 - 9" strips. Attach the 5" strips on either side of the charm, then put the longer strips on top and bottom. I'm putting a pic here of a quilt I made using one charm and one jelly roll. I had enough left overs to make two patchwork bags as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VID01392.jpg 
Views:	5406 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	22589
    Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
    Summer Lee Quilts

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually in the process of picking out a charm pack and matching jelly roll for a Jacob's Ladder quilt The jelly is for the four patches and a charm for the half-square triangles Not sure what qualifies as a "beginner's" quilt, but I've never completed a quilt and I'm willing to give it a try! lol As long as you have a nice contrast, either two colours or lights/darks, then it should turn out lovely

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions, I just had to throw mine out there because it's actually what I'm going to be working on very soon lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musical_Starling View Post
    I'm actually in the process of picking out a charm pack and matching jelly roll for a Jacob's Ladder quilt The jelly is for the four patches and a charm for the half-square triangles Not sure what qualifies as a "beginner's" quilt, but I've never completed a quilt and I'm willing to give it a try! lol As long as you have a nice contrast, either two colours or lights/darks, then it should turn out lovely

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions, I just had to throw mine out there because it's actually what I'm going to be working on very soon lol
    Maybe you could join the Reversed jacobs Ladder Group - we would love to have you come play with us!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bkthomas View Post
    Maybe you could join the Reversed jacobs Ladder Group - we would love to have you come play with us!
    Sure! I won't be starting it for a few weeks though and it'll be my very first quilt so be gentle! lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Is a ladder scrappy? I just love scrappy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It definitely can be Just as long as there's contrast. It can be lights vs. darks, it can be reds vs. blues, there just has to be a contrast. You could even do reds and oranges and pinks vs. blues and greens, as long as you can tell one group from the other so you can see the pattern then you're all set!

I just found this image via a quick Google search: Looks pretty scrappy to me

Jenny has an awesome tutorial to make this too, she makes it look so easy:
    http://quiltingtutorials.com/browse-...-ladder-quilt/

She says at the beginning that she used a layer cake, but she shows you how to make it using a charm pack and a jelly roll
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some great Ideas in Pam & Nicky Lintott's Book 'Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts'

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SummerK View Post
    You can make a framed square, which is one of my favorites! All you do is pair a charm with a strip. Cut 2 - 5" strips and 2 - 9" strips. Attach the 5" strips on either side of the charm, then put the longer strips on top and bottom. I'm putting a pic here of a quilt I made using one charm and one jelly roll. I had enough left overs to make two patchwork bags as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VID01392.jpg 
Views:	5406 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	22589
    Summer. What size did that end up being
    Patrice