Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Not sure if right board but need info on a Serger

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaLashley View Post
    ok thanks a bunch, will get 4... also, i keep reading about upper loopers, lower loopers, etc... does a serger not have a bobbin? i feel stupid for asking this but have never used a serger before... I'm not sure Ive ever actually seen one except in a picture.....lol
    Judy is right on about the bobbin. The stitches are interlocked. The loopers put up a loop of thread around the edge of the faric and the needle threads hold the loops in place. Somebody saw that a serger was referred to as an interlock machine, just another name for the same machine. The threads are interlocked together, rather than having the upper and lower threads come together with a rotary hook on the bobbin doing the work.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I need a serger but I know nothing about them. Good luck.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have found using light or dark gray thread is good because it blends into most every color. What colors do you use most? I use the Maxi-lock and have had excellent results.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Angela, with the question you ask, you will get as many answers as there are machines out there. Personally, I use a Pfaff computerized 5 thread. It is several years old, but after tearing my hair out with my 1st two sergers that were Singers, I went to Pfaff and have not regretted it in the least.

As for thread, I use Guttermann 50 wt, the same as I use in my sewing machine. I get the dressmaker size spools when they are on sale or when I find a deal.

As for color, I stick with the neutral beige/tan for most everything except really dark then I will go to black, really light, I will go white or if it is a single color, different shades, i will try to match the thread to the fabric..

Sorry, that was as clear as mud LOL
    Just One More Yard - Blog
    Just One More Yard - Craftsy

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!