Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Not sure if right board but need info on a Serger

LOL Jean, how far are you from Joplin or Springfield? I might be coming your way about August... I can bring mine with me.....
    Angela Lashley - Studio Bella Rose

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Singer 5 thread serger and it is wonderful. It is my second serger. While I don't use it nearly as often my sewing machine it is wonderful to have when I want to do something fast. I have made lots of pillowcases using it and a couple of flannel quilt tops. The flannel doesn't ravel or tear out when serged. I still make a few clothes and it is absolutely wonderful for finishing seams.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaLashley View Post
    LOL Jean, how far are you from Joplin or Springfield? I might be coming your way about August... I can bring mine with me.....
    I live in St. Louis. Let me know when you are coming, maybe I can come down if it is early in August.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should all head out to Jean's for a serger weekend class. I know I could use one.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    Maybe we should all head out to Jean's for a serger weekend class. I know I could use one.

I have three sergers for my class to use! I always said we should have quilt camp at my house, I live in the center of the country and have plenty of empty beds and couches! Come on down! ( up, over, across, whatever!) Oh, and while you are here, Denis, you can help me finish setting up the quilt frame and machine! (untouched for weeks!)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post

I see you have gotten another "girly" title, Binding Belle, you should ask BillNye to fix that for the male quilters! Maybe President of the Board, and make that title stay forever!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Jean, I'm picking this up on Monday... Quick question please? Do I need to buy special thread for a serger or is it just regular cones of thread?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaLashley View Post
    Jean, I'm picking this up on Monday... Quick question please? Do I need to buy special thread for a serger or is it just regular cones of thread?
    I would look for Maxi-lock, that's what I use, it is about $4-5 for a cone that has 3000 yards on it, you need four of the same color. It is 100% poly. You can start with white or crem, add black when you think you need it, then other colors as you need them. The neutral colors work fine for starters. A serger uses more thread than a regular sewing machine, so you want the large cones that don't cost an arm and a leg. There are other brands, and no -name brands, but my machines and I like Maxi-lock best.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; June 16th, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks a bunch, will get 4... also, i keep reading about upper loopers, lower loopers, etc... does a serger not have a bobbin? i feel stupid for asking this but have never used a serger before... I'm not sure Ive ever actually seen one except in a picture.....lol

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be willing to make the trip from Central Illinois- Peoria area to join Jean with her offer. I have a singer serger 14 somethng that is a B!^@H to thread.. I don't have one of those "helpers" to thread mine with.. so I'll be looking for one. I did get it running like crazy when I first inherited it. (Over 15 years old.) But when those threads broke.. I gave up with the tension and rethreading it. I do love the look of those seam finishes.

And NO there aren't any bobbins.