• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caroline T.
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2016

Question for longarmers

I'm working on a quilt top that will finish @ 80 x 80

I haven't found a wide backing that I like and that will go with the top, so I've got to piece the backing, I did find a fabric that is 45" wide, so I'm wondering: if I piece this with only two pieces, after seam allowances and less the selvedge the width will be only about 83" to 85"

Not enough "extra" for clamping. With my machine, I need at least 5" extra on each side so the machine does hit the clamps.

So wondering if anyone has ever sewn a strip of fabric onto the backing (both sides) just to give it a little bit more width for quilting, and removed those strip(s) after the quilting was done? Will this work or am I going to have to do more piecing and have a bunch of extra backing fabric left over?
  • midnightline
    The Guild President
    • Apr 2016

Re: Question for longarmers

That seems like a reasonable solution to me. I would sew the extra strips in the same direction as your main backing seam. Make sure you have enough of your backing to not require side-seams. Then, just work to get your quilt centered when it's loaded. If done right, you should wind up removing those strips when you trim the excess.

Comment

• EnumclawGramma
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2012

As I read this, your solution is exactly what I saw you doing in my minds eye! I'm serious. I'm not a longarmer, as you know. (Ray tells me my arms are too short for that), but I think you may be on to something!
      sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

• KarenC
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2015

Yes you can, and as Midnightline describes, try to add it with the seam in the same manner as your other piecing. Basically when loading it on the longarm, it is best to be able to load it with the seam(s) going horizontally instead of vertically.
        Karen
        Spring, TX

Comment

• Caroline T.
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2016

Thank you ladies for the reassurance that my thought process is on track. I bought the fabric today (5yards) and measured the width, I'll end up with a backing of 87×90, so it's big enough to clear the clamps (mounted on the frame horizontilly), and by adding a 2.5 strip to the outside edges (parallel to the center seam), while not absolutely necessary, will give me more protection from accidentally sewing my backing to my leaders. LOL

Comment

• Caroline T.
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by EnumclawGramma View Post
            As I read this, your solution is exactly what I saw you doing in my minds eye! I'm serious. I'm not a longarmer, as you know. (Ray tells me my arms are too short for that), but I think you may be on to something!
            Libby, you tell Ray I say your arms are NOT too short..
            Your legs may be another matter though! But I'm brainstorming on a solution.

Comment

• Deegles
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2014

Dont sew them, just pin some cloth to each side for your clamps. The pins will be out away from the sewing area, and the added fabric will keep your clamps safely away too!
              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

I have machine basted extra widths of non-backing fabric to the sides of backs, when I had enough backing material, but not enough for LA. It works ok and they center it when loading. Also by using a different fabric, it's easier to see. Good luck, I'm sure you will get it done right.
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
                X