Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabric bleeding

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabric bleeding

Hello! I need your advice. I was given an antique quilt top. The fabric we purchased for the back is a medium blue (a little darker) print thatís 108Ē wide. I have washed it 3 times and my color catchers are still coming out a robins egg blue. I dont want to spend the money to have this machine quilted only to have it ruined in the wash. The first two times I washed it in warm water to try and get as much extra die out as possible. The last time I washed it in Woolite in cold water and itís still bleeding. Iím rinsing it in white vinegar water which I thought would help set the color. The fabric was quite expensive. The front is an off white with 30Ēs prints in a wedge/Dresden pattern. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance. I figured if anyone would know what to do, you guys would!
    Thanks,
    Judy V.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric bleeding

Wow! after 3washings it should be set. Are you drying it in the dryer in between?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

There are products called Retyane and Rit Die Fixative that I would try, one or the other. Unfortunately, vinegar does not work particularly well with cotton dies. I would try the fixatives, and if in doubt I would not use this backing for this antique quilt. I know you have a lot invested now, but it seems risky on an antique. In my experience, some fabric dies never seem to completely "set". Both these fixatives are the best choices I know of. Good luck, sorry this is happening to you.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

try all those suggestions. then wash with something white to see if colors grab onto it. I also use color Catchers with some quilts. i have one on my bed now with a dark backing that always wants to give off a bit of color. my front comes out fine though. Good luck.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

boil the backing in a LARGE kettle of water with a "goodly" amount of salt in it. Always works on my red material.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

6. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would throw in a piece of white cloth, a white towel, or some whitey tidies. see if those turn blue. The color cathers are made to catch color where fabrics are not. I would also set the color with a vinegar wash. If you have a low fill washing machine, take the fabric to the laudromat to a fully filling washing machine.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

No. I have been laying it flat to dry. Do you think the dryer would help? It sure sets stains in so maybe it would set the color.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldsewer View Post
    There are products called Retyane and Rit Die Fixative that I would try, one or the other. Unfortunately, vinegar does not work particularly well with cotton dies. I would try the fixatives, and if in doubt I would not use this backing for this antique quilt. I know you have a lot invested now, but it seems risky on an antique. In my experience, some fabric dies never seem to completely "set". Both these fixatives are the best choices I know of. Good luck, sorry this is happening to you.
    I will give one of those a try. Thank you!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    Wow! after 3washings it should be set. Are you drying it in the dryer in between?
    I haven’t been putting it in the dryer.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    I would throw in a piece of white cloth, a white towel, or some whitey tidies. see if those turn blue. The color cathers are made to catch color where fabrics are not. I would also set the color with a vinegar wash. If you have a low fill washing machine, take the fabric to the laudromat to a fully filling washing machine.
    My machine is an HE front loader so now that you say that, it makes sense. All 3 washes were with the extra rinse cycle but my washer doesn’t use a lot of water. Thanks!