• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devchdm
    Binding Belle
    • Oct 2015

Laura Heine Collage Quilt Question

This question is for anyone who has quilted their own Laura Heine collage quilt (or who has quilted thru a boatload of fabric and adhesive).
    When quilting (I plan to do grid or matchstick quilting) -
    What size / type needle did you use?
    What weight of thread? I usually use Aurifil 50 wt
    (Lot of fabric and adhesive here s I thought I’d see what others have done)

Thanks!
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: Laura Heine Collage Quilt Question

For 50 wt thread if I was using my walking foot I would use an 80/12 sharp or top stitch needle. If you are FMQ I would use a 90/14 with a top stitch (not a sharp or a universal) needle. If you are going over 6 or more layers of adhesive fabric it will really help the needle not to leave permanent holes if you use your iron to gently reheat the area for approx 8 seconds before you stitch over it. Don't overheat for longer than 8 seconds at medium heat. The multiple layers of adhesive will wear out your needle faster. If you start hearing a "tick" sound as the needle hits the fabric it is time for a new needle.

Please post a picture when you are done so we can admire.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Devchdm
      Binding Belle
      • Oct 2015

Thank you Denise for specific recommendations!
      One follow up question regarding the gentle iron/heating...steam or dry iron?
      Thank you so much!
      Donna

Comment

• Spiff
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2013

Following as I am about to start straight line stitching on a collage quilt also. It is unusual for one of her patterns as it is mainly larger pieces but I was also worried about going through all those layers and adhesive.
        Debbie

Comment

• DeniseSm
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Devchdm View Post
          Thank you Denise for specific recommendations!
          One follow up question regarding the gentle iron/heating...steam or dry iron?
          Thank you so much!
          Donna
          Steam or dry iron, repeat which ever method you used originally to attach the adhesive. Just don't go longer than 8 seconds. You are just temporarily softening up the adhesive.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• oldmanquilts
            Designer Diva
            • May 2018

The Ti coated needles seem to resist the buildup of adhesives better than others. I'm using Superior (branded Organs) needles with excellent results.
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Hulamoon
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2012

I'm curious since her designs have come up in questions before, has the artist recommend an adhesive?
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Grey Lady
                The Guild President
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                I'm curious since her designs have come up in questions before, has the artist recommend an adhesive?
                LH site, in FAQ, uses Steam A Seam 2, not lite. This was used in a LH class I took. I used an 80/12 needle and walking foot to straight line quilt. The instructor suggested a Micotex needle and 50 weight thread. Even with all the layers, it was a breeze.
                Diana Grey

Comment

• Hulamoon
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Grey Lady View Post
                  LH site, in FAQ, uses Steam A Seam 2, not lite. This was used in a LH class I took. I used an 80/12 needle and walking foot to straight line quilt. The instructor suggested a Micotex needle and 50 weight thread. Even with all the layers, it was a breeze.
                  Thanks! I was thinking of trying one.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

• MSN
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2017

Thanks! I was thinking of trying one.
                    Look out, Lorie, they can be addictive!

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by MSN View Post
                      Look out, Lorie, they can be addictive!

I can see where they could! I just watched several videos on her technique and looked at her website. The problem I'm having is that her patterns are so big, and the kits are so expensive.

Has anyone printed out their own (like I have a chicken from a quilt mag) and made one?

I found out something interesting about the kits. She allows the certified teachers/shop owners to put the kits together with fabrics of their own choosing.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• MSN
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2017

I made a couple of her fish but scaled them down to 90% size of the original. If you have an understanding of the technique, I think you should definitely try making a collage of an original design. If you are trying to stay small, make sure your fabric strips are of appropriate size (skinny). You will want a lot of strips to choose from. I have made three fish from the strips I cut before my class, and have used perhaps half of those strips. But when you're sitting there arranging the strips, you want lots to choose from.

Comment

• Grey Lady
                          The Guild President
                          • Jan 2015

I can see where they could! I just watched several videos on her technique and looked at her website. The problem I'm having is that her patterns are so big, and the kits are so expensive.

Has anyone printed out their own (like I have a chicken from a quilt mag) and made one?

I found out something interesting about the kits. She allows the certified teachers/shop owners to put the kits together with fabrics of their own choosing.
                          You really only need outlines of what you what you want to do. I wanted a baby giraffe, to add to LH large giraffe pattern that I bought. I printed a pic of the baby I liked off the internet. Traced just it's outline into a sheet of paper, and had Kinkos enlarge it to the size I wanted. cost $3. I''m not talented enough to just draw it out.
                          Diana Grey

Comment

• Hulamoon
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Grey Lady View Post
                            You really only need outlines of what you what you want to do. I wanted a baby giraffe, to add to LH large giraffe pattern that I bought. I printed a pic of the baby I liked off the internet. Traced just it's outline into a sheet of paper, and had Kinkos enlarge it to the size I wanted. cost $3. I''m not talented enough to just draw it out.

Did you finish it? I took a peek in your albums. I saw you did a QAYG bag. Very nice. I need to figure out how to watch her video again.
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                            X