Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Machine quilting questions

I'm getting ready to try my first machine quilting project. Not FMQ , just straight stitching for the most part. What is the suggested stitch length for this and also is there a favorite thread brand that I should look for?
    Thanks in advance for any shared info.

Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Machine quilting questions

I use a walking foot and a 3.0 stitch length. I've used various threads, don't have a favorite.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use a stitch length of 3.0, definitely use a walking foot, and I prefer Mettler thread. I find quilting gloves really help, too. Happy quilting!
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

4. Thanks Illini Linda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what kind of machine you have, you might need to adjust the tension & the fabric setting (woven medium or woven heavy). Definitely 3.0 stitch length. Practice on a sample sandwich first to make sure the stitching looks like you want it. I also test the stitch every time I do a bobbin change to make sure it's stitching ok. I use the medium speed for better control. A tip I learned somewhere, you can start & end your sewing with the stitch length at 1.0 to secure the stitching, rather than starting right out at 3.0. That way you don't have to backtrack & the stitching looks nicer. I just finished the quilting on my Big Star baby quilt--all done with the walking foot. LOTS of twisting & turning of the sandwich, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I'm working on the binding today, then I'll have to wash out the blue markings. When it's all finished, I'll post pics. Good luck with your project. JCY

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. I will certainly go with the walking foot and 3.00 length. I will also start and stop with 1.00 which sounds like a winning idea. I remember seeing Mettler thread on one of the searches I was doing for thread. Who knew there were so many different kinds? Off I go to get my order made.

Thanks again.

Linda

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say enough about the Machinger gloves. I even wear them when I am attaching my binding (if sewing on by machine) because I can "scoot" the quilt easier.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ann Petersen over at Craftsy (Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine) talks about using that rubber shelf lining. Cut it into palm size pieces and lay it on your quilt with your hands on top. It really works great. When I wear gloves I'm forever having to pull one or both off to do simple tasks.

Also, I have found that I like using either the serpentine stitch (wavy lines) or the ladder stitch (looks like a double sided blanket stitch) instead of trying stitch in the ditch. Try different decorative stitches on a practice sandwich and see if you like the looks. I have even used a decorative stitch and stitched down the binding on the front of the quilt with it.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Linda, I buy my Mettler threads at Aprons By The Case, Inc. - Contract sewing, manufacturing and distribution, located in N.C. Just check it out, may not be what you are looking for. Good luck.
    Linda

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay75 View Post
    Linda, I buy my Mettler threads at Aprons By The Case, Inc. - Contract sewing, manufacturing and distribution, located in N.C. Just check it out, may not be what you are looking for. Good luck.
    Looks like the Uncommon Threads part is for sale. I didn't find anything except for the aprons, etc. thanks for the link tho

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    Ann Petersen over at Craftsy (Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine) talks about using that rubber shelf lining. Cut it into palm size pieces and lay it on your quilt with your hands on top. It really works great. When I wear gloves I'm forever having to pull one or both off to do simple tasks.

Also, I have found that I like using either the serpentine stitch (wavy lines) or the ladder stitch (looks like a double sided blanket stitch) instead of trying stitch in the ditch. Try different decorative stitches on a practice sandwich and see if you like the looks. I have even used a decorative stitch and stitched down the binding on the front of the quilt with it.
    Sounds very good. I have practice sandwiches already made . Thanks.