• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jean Sewing Machine
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

4 Styles of Jelly Roll Race quilts

This fall, my local quilt shop asked me to teach a class on how to make a jelly roll race quilt. While most of us learned via the internet, YouTube, etc., the shop owner and myself hope some would like to learn during a face to face class.

The variable in making a jelly roll race quilt is this--what fabric to use and how to finish the quilt. My quilt shop does not carry jelly rolls, so we want to sell fabric that they have in stock. So, I made up some demonstrations quilts to show how it can be made many different ways. Many forum members have commented in the way I quilt my jelly roll quilts, so I'll share with you the different ways they can be finished.

The jelly roll quilts end up being more or less the same size. They are about 63-72" long (depending on if it has a border and how wide the border is), and generally about 45-55" wide--also depending on borders, but somewhat on how the strips are built.

To make a quiilt that ends up this size, you want to use at least 40 strips in the quilt. The number of strips in your beginning strip of fabric shows up in the width. They will all end up about the same length, because you use 2-1/2" wide strips, and you will have 32 rows of 2" strips after they are sewn with a 1/4" seam. If you stray a bit and make your seam narrower or wider, it will affect the length a bit. But remember you can't add width except by bordering once it is sewn.

Here are the samples:

green turquoise Jelly Roll quilt.jpg
    Made from two jelly rolls with 20 strips each. Quilted using low loft poly batting, on the regular sewing machine SITD method, narrow border
    Grow with me full.jpg
    Made using Moda Grow with Me jelly roll--40 strips. Quilted using low loft poly batting, FMQed (using longarm) using a meander quilt pattern, with border design. Narrow border
    jelly roll fat quarters.jpg
    Made using fat quarters--you need 80 fat quarter strips (7 from each fat quarter). Quilted using Warm and White on the regular sewing machine, SITD method. Narrow border.
    Clifford jelly roll.jpg
    Made using yardage, 7 2-1/2" strips from each 1/2 yard of fabric(licensed Clifford the Big Red Dog fabric). Quilted using a pond meander stitch on the long arm FMQ style. No border.

They all have a very different look, depending on how they are quilted. They also have a different feel. I would classify the order I've posted them from the softest to the stiffest. The Warm and White makes a less pliable quilt, but I have not washed any of these, so it may soften up after being washed.

Good luck, if you have any questions about jelly roll quilts, let me know, I've made a bunch of them! Working on another one right now, it will be really different--stunning or not, I'm not sure yet, but the fabric is very different!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; July 24, 2012, 07:27 AM.
  • Bubby
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Re: 4 Styles of Jelly Roll Race quilts

Jean, You are the undisputed Queen of Jellyroll Quilts! Sandy, let's get this girl a crown!!
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

I'm working on another one that will really be different! Can't wait to see how it turns out! Sewed it together last night when I couldn't sleep.

Thank you for the crown, I will wear it in good graces to the revered jelly roll!

Comment

• RFREE
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2010

I think we need to crown Jean the new "JEAN JEAN THE QUILTING MACHINE!" You go girl!

Comment

• Lindagie
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2012

Just wondering which local quilt shop you are talking about; is this near Florissant? I might be interested in attending the class.
          :icon_wave: Linda
          "Home is where they love you"

Comment

• RiverMomm
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2012

Jean, I would have loved to learn how to do a jelly roll quilt in person. YouTube is the only way I am learning but it would make things so much easier to have someone I could ask as well as see the process. Since these quilts are going to be cut strips and not jelly rolls, maybe you could rename them. Queen Jean's Strip Quilts (aka JellyRoll Quilts)?

Hey! How about doing a video?!? I want to see you in action.

Where are you teaching this fall? I used to live in Chesterfield.

Comment

• Sandy Navas
              Missouri Star
              • Dec 2010

I hereby crown you: Jean, Jean, Sewing Machine - Queen of the Jelly Rolls

Jean Crown.gif
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• sewbizzy
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2012

Your JR quilts are gorgeous...I can't wait to try the low loft polyester you mentioned the other day...I love the fluffy look...
                I bought quite a bit of warm and natural/white when I first made some small quilts...I don't have much left, so going to try to get some of the low loft at JoAnn's...they have batting 50% off this week...
                thanks Jean for sharing...good luck with your class..
                I would love to see you do a tutorial!!!
                Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

• RiverMomm
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2012

Ok, maybe "Queen Jean's Strip Quilts (aka JellyRoll Quilts)" isn't the best of names. When I typed that earlier, I didn't think what other meanings might come up. LOL

Comment

• lilmouse
                    Missouri Star
                    • Feb 2011

Jean, I haven't tried this yet but will.....if you add a 2 1/2 square at the end of each strip; sew the seams straight - not angled it gives the jelly roll a totally different look and adds a little to the dimensions...the one I saw had the squares all the same color...a tan I believe....I am waiting to try this one out...have the jelly roll and the fabric for the squares..no time...on my bucket list...have made several JR quilts and love making them....and everyone seems to like them.

Comment

• Panda
                      Designer Diva
                      • Apr 2012

Jean, thank you for all the info. It sure will come in handy when I make a jelly roll quilt. You are very generous for sharing. BTW, I love your hello kitty quilt you made out of flannel, so I went on the hunt for hello kitty flannel because my granddaughter loves hello kitty. I went to joanns and they had a whole new section of all kinds of hello kitty fabric. I showed my granddaughter the one you made and told her I found the fabric so that I could make her one and she was very excited.

Thanks again for always sharing, Kathy

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by lilmouse View Post
                        Jean, I haven't tried this yet but will.....if you add a 2 1/2 square at the end of each strip; sew the seams straight - not angled it gives the jelly roll a totally different look and adds a little to the dimensions...the one I saw had the squares all the same color...a tan I believe....I am waiting to try this one out...have the jelly roll and the fabric for the squares..no time...on my bucket list...have made several JR quilts and love making them....and everyone seems to like them.
                        I was thinking of doing this with black and white strips using hot pink. I would add them at random, not every one--what do you think that would look like?

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Panda View Post
                          Jean, thank you for all the info. It sure will come in handy when I make a jelly roll quilt. You are very generous for sharing. BTW, I love your hello kitty quilt you made out of flannel, so I went on the hunt for hello kitty flannel because my granddaughter loves hello kitty. I went to joanns and they had a whole new section of all kinds of hello kitty fabric. I showed my granddaughter the one you made and told her I found the fabric so that I could make her one and she was very excited.

Thanks again for always sharing, Kathy
                          and the licensed fabrics are on sale at Joanns this week, just bought some Batman to do one for Hello Kitty's brother.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Lindagie View Post
                            Just wondering which local quilt shop you are talking about; is this near Florissant? I might be interested in attending the class.
                            Winston's Sewing Center, St. Peters, Mo. We're going to work on them in Sept, two sessions on Saturdays to build the top, private sessions to do the finishing. Google them or check www.sewtopia.com
                            Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; July 24, 2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Panda
                              Designer Diva
                              • Apr 2012

I was in joanns on Sunday and didn't notice that they were on sale. I will have to check that out, because I hate to pay full price at joanns when they always have sales or coupons. I will also check their website.

Thanks,
                              Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X