Secret Santa 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer crashed and died

My regular computer crashed and died this morning. Other then the last month or two I think I had everything backed up to a flashdrive. I know I can't purchase another cheapy computer until at least early November and for that I'm keeping my fingers crossed. All my newer purchased programs are gone I believe :-(. I'm pretty upset.

I do have an old computer I pulled out that I had put a linux system (for some reason it would no longer take windows) on that I'm using at the moment. Im not real good with linux but hopefully I'll make do, just nothing fancy, pretty slow and was meant only for emergency use.

Seeing your notes and my response times to them might (or not) be a little slower until I get a new computer. Hopefully this will only be a temporary glitch. If you have trouble getting me or if it appears this computer didn't hold out you can phone me. 304-265-5962 Also do not use [email protected], it won't work. Reply on [email protected].

Don't ya just love technology.....
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Oh no! Do you have a computer geek in your area? Maybe they can take a look and recover some of your stuff??
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Only ones that charged a fortune :-)

Years ago I purchased a "I don't know what they called it" but you hooked it up to the broken computer and it gave you access to the hard drive. You could then retrieve files you didn't want to lose. I have to find it, it's somewhere here I think I just don't know if it will work on the newer computers.I'll have to wait until I'm a lot more patient then I am right now. I'm currently in potty mouth mode. I spent most of yesterday using diagnostic and recovery and could only get it to fix 23% of the hard drive. Even tried former windows disks and it just won't boot up. This computer was a lemon from the time I purchased it I believe. Even the keyboard crapped out within 6 months. It's about 4 years old. It use to be that I could build my own computer but not anymore!
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I am sorry about your computer. I hope you are able to either get it fixed somewhat or a new one at some point.

When mine died, my son bought a special cable that will run from the hard drive to another computer. I was able to retrieve everything I had on that hard drive. That might be an option. Now I can use that drive as an external drive to save things on.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Tech and I are no longer on first name terms. I like the chrome book Jim picked out for me, but I've yet to figure out how to find my documents on this silly thing. I'm seriously thinking about popping for office and at least I'll be able to figure out what's what... maybe.
          Katrina
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Right now I'm leaning toward getting a desktop without a monitor (I can use my tv for that). Looks like i can get what I need for the same price as the chromebooks I was looking at and it appears it will do more. I'm thinking and hoping I'll have enough $ by Black Friday and purchase on-line. I'm amazed at all the different things out there and what they can and sometimes cannot do. If I recall with the desktop the repairs are easier and many I might be able to do myself. With the laptops it difficult to actually get in there and do anything...it's one of the reasons techs charge so much to repair them. I can always take my linux laptop to the craft fairs with me and it will do. But the desktop I looked at appears to have 2.0 and 3.0 ports, HDMI/dvi hookup (can use my tv), wifi if I want or ethernet. I do have various, much loved graphic programs (drawing and sewart) and several others that not all computers will run. I'll lose all my emails, of which I had many but for the most part anything two months old with attachments I had also backed up. So all in all it's an expensive nuisance but does not appear to be a catastrophy. Monique what you suggested probably would work (I did that once before I came here) and I believe I still have that cable here ...somewhere. But I don't see where the cable would hook in the the harddrive in order to retrieve as it stands now. I think what will occur is I'll use the broken computer to play "learn to be a tech" with and open it up...nothing ventured/nothing gained :-)

Comment

Secret Santa 2019

About this Group

Membership is now closed for 2019.

We had a lot of fun with the Secret Santa 2018 group last year. A lot of happy people received beautiful handmade gifts from their Secret Santa's. Each person made and received 12 gifts at Christmas that were made throughout the year, one a month based on a given theme. We learned new things, challenged our skills in a non-stressful way and got "down and dirty" creative. Plus at the end of the year we get 12 great gifts for Christmas!

This group is a commitment as you are signing on to create 12 gifts during the year. They can be smaller projects so any challenge is not overly difficult. Choose whatever difficulty you are comfortable with. You may also, twice a year, swap out the named theme for one of your own choosing. You may also purchase rather than hand make 3 items during the year.

If you would like to join please "subscribe", "join". Read the Rules in the discussion section and sign. You will receive a questionaire from the mod
            Type: Public
            Topics: 129
            Comments: 885

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

• chelea
              Willcox and Gibbs
              by chelea
              Several months ago I let a Singer 24 get away. This time, same consignment shop, I didn't hesitate. Meet Eleanor, c. 1891. The Willcox and Gibbs story...
              November 24, 2020, 03:30 PM
            • KPH
              My Secret Santa box has arrived.
              by KPH
              Just Lyn, Thanks so much. I appreciate all of the hard work you have done. That's an amazing Advent Calendar. I can't wait to see the kids again to show...
              November 19, 2020, 03:06 PM
            • KPH
              Secret Santa Arrivals
              by KPH
              Alrighty, for the sake of my nerves... I know one of the rules is to send me the tracking numbers. All well and good, but when your package arrives. Would...
              November 12, 2020, 08:39 AM
            • Monique
              It has arrived
              by Monique
              My parcel from Chris has arrived and mine is on an airplane headed to her. WOOHOO!!

I will fondle it gently when I pick it up and then put...
              November 10, 2020, 03:38 AM
            • KPH
              New Leader needed for 2021
              by KPH
              We're reaching that point, of thinking about 2021 SS. I hope someone will step up and be the moderator for next year. I have all of the letters and files...
              November 1, 2020, 01:41 PM
            Working...
            X