Secret Santa 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you prefer cotton or polyester

thread? I'd always used cotton but have to admit, lately I'm not a thread snob and will use anything (except old thread of course, or for items used in the microwave).
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

doesn't matter. whatever I have that matches
    sigpic

Comment

I use cotton or polyester white most of the time.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I prefer cotton for my sewing machines but have used polyester if it's the color I need.....and it won't be used in the microwave.
        Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm using cotton more and more for the piecing parts. For the quilting machine I pretty much stick with poly since my machine doesn't like cotton.
          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I use cotton. Prefer Aurifil if we’re talking about thread. If it’s batting I usually use a cotton or an 80/20 blend.

Comment

Depends. I do machine embroidery so use poly for that but for piecing I use cotton.
              Pam

Comment

For piecing - cotton. Poly for quilting (I have the same long arm as CarlyWolf, a d same issues), but for hand piecing and hand sewing binding, I prefer silk.

Comment

To be honest, I never paid much attention to silk thread so did a little reading on the Superior website...wow! it's a whole other world. Never heard of 100 wt thread either. So interesting.
                  Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I use Aurifill 50 wt. cotton for sewing, piecing, etc. For my embroidery machine, I only use polyester. I was told when I purchased my first Baby Lock machine that you should always use the best quality thread possible --- and that meant manufactured in Europe. I have pretty much stayed with that.

Nancy

Comment

I usually use cotton. At the Missouri Star Academy, one of the owners from Aurifill presented a workshop on how their thread was made. No wonder thread is so expensive. Besides using high quality cotton, it takes hours to make the thread and there is a very specific process that if certain areas get messed up, the thread has to be pitched because it is not any good.

Comment

My machine does Coats&Clark, Gutterman, Connecting Threads, and just about anything else. Cotton, Poly, glow in the dark, metallic, it doesn't seem to care. I think it's just happy I decide to come see it!

Shhhh! Don't tell anybody, but I have put polyester in the microwave! I made flax bags and stitched them with whatever was in the machine. I even made the bags out of polar fleece! Granted, they are never in the microwave for more than a minute, but I haven't had a meltdown or flame up yet. Shhhh! I don't want the sewing police showing up!
                        Be who you are and say what you feel
                        because those who mind don't matter,
                        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I like the Aurfil for piecing and sometimes use the Cotton Essential thread.

0 Thanks

Comment

toggpine,
                            "My machine does Coats&Clark, Gutterman, Connecting Threads, and just about anything else. Cotton, Poly, glow in the dark, metallic, it doesn't seem to care." This sounds like the Kennmore that my mom had which I now have. I have even put handquilting thread on it by accident and it sewed just like normal.

Comment

When MSQC came out with their own thread, I tried it because the price was great & I loved it. I generally only use cotton for piecing & quilting, but I've got a variety of poly from various projects over the years. And I'm always down for a sale, lol. A year or two ago I bought a lot of variegated thread when Connecting threads had a sale - I like using it when there's lots of different colors and not a lot of solids/white in the top because it blends well & hides my mistakes, lol. I try to stock up when they have sales - just bought a lot at 30% off, pretty good deal. It's a but lintier than MSQC or so e of the premium threads but I don't mind as I generally clean up after each bobbin change & the price break is totally worth it.

Comment

Secret Santa 2019

About this Group

Membership is now closed for 2019.

We had a lot of fun with the Secret Santa 2018 group last year. A lot of happy people received beautiful handmade gifts from their Secret Santa's. Each person made and received 12 gifts at Christmas that were made throughout the year, one a month based on a given theme. We learned new things, challenged our skills in a non-stressful way and got "down and dirty" creative. Plus at the end of the year we get 12 great gifts for Christmas!

This group is a commitment as you are signing on to create 12 gifts during the year. They can be smaller projects so any challenge is not overly difficult. Choose whatever difficulty you are comfortable with. You may also, twice a year, swap out the named theme for one of your own choosing. You may also purchase rather than hand make 3 items during the year.

If you would like to join please "subscribe", "join". Read the Rules in the discussion section and sign. You will receive a questionaire from the mod
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 129
                              Comments: 885

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X