Secret Santa 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is too much?

I showed my mom and my husband the projects I’m working on for my secret santee and they both seemed to think maybe I was going a bit overboard....how much is too much?
    Pam

I look back at my first SS and you raise a good question. This will be my third SS and in my opinion it is what is in your heart. After receiving my first SS gifts I felt bad as I didn't feel I gave gifts up to the expectations of what I received. That exchange was with each other. But my SS was gracious and we actually met and got together and she's a delightful person. My second SS I created better gifts and in my mind one was over the top and I was excited about the others. It made me happy and excited to give them. That exchange you did not exchange with the same person. I received the most unusual gifts and was awed by all of them. My point is do what your heart says. Why would you want to create something less. If it makes you happy and proud of what you created then give it. You might receive something less or more but be sure your SS did the best she could and with love. We should all create to our best and that's all that counts. Create from the heart and give from the heart.

Comment

I don't quite know how to answer this. This is my second year for the exchange and I am also wondering what is to much.
      Last year I sent a box that was about 22" x 33" x 12". Yes there was some air in the box but it was mostly full. The box I received was about half the size and filled to the brim with gifts and no air. I could not have packed the gifts that I sent in the size box I received. My observation is that all boxes are different and that we will all express many thanks for what we receive in the exchange.
      I am back a second time, because I enjoy making things and giving them to others.

Comment

I feel pretty much the same as Georgie Girl. My first year I wondered if I didn't do enough too. I think part of the confusion was that at that point we have nothing to go by. (and back then not many people uploaded pictures of what they had received). I think coming up with novel ideas were sometimes more difficult than doing the themed projects themselves!. (I mean how many themed tablerunners are appropriate LOL) Also the thoughts came in as to how appropriate are gifts that would probably be considered too expensive and make a recipient uncomfortable. So yes, there was some stress that way, so I just kept my fingers crossed that my recipient would know it all came from the heart. (which they did :-) )

With each year I'm so excited when I see the gifts I received and the ideas people come up with are just amazing and and an incredible wealth of diversity. That's what makes it so much fun for me. You see a lot of "out of the box" creative ideas. One year I received the most amazing roll up storage bag. I couldn't tell if it was homemade or store bought but I "knew" this was way beyond my sewing capabilities! I use it ALL the time and still it's one of my favorite things. After being asked my Secret Santa sent me a copy of the project instructions. It became my go to Christmas gift for last year, I did 6 of them!! Friends got it, relatives got it, I think my SS recipient got it too. I had to stop myself from making it for people walking past my house going to the store LOL. Some of the gifts really challenge you and that makes the group more fun too. This year I have one project that I've given thought to as to whether it's "too much" particularly since it does take a lot of time to complete, but it's something I enjoy working on. So I work on it a little bit at a time over the year. It's something I think my recipient would love and appreciate and actually use. Is it too much? Maybe, but I don't think so because I think she will get as much enjoyment out of it as I'll get making it. :-) And it's just something I wanted to do for her.

But is anything too much? I think the question is more how are you feeling when you decide on a project? How do you feel as you're making it? Years ago I read a book which I think was called The Prophet and it had various categories, one was On Giving. I'll try to find it and post that one here. I found it helpful and something I personally try to shoot for. :-)
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

This is a really good discussion, and will hopefully give us all something to think about. I felt the same way last year (my first SS exchange).

Comment

I haven't worried so much about "too much", but rather, "too little"!! This is the third year I have participated in SS and each year I worry and fret if what I am doing is just "not enough" for each month. I realize there is no set amount for any month, but I still stress over it.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy, I would be tickled with just one present let alone one for each month.
              Come on guys, don't let this fun group turn into "keeping up with the Jones". Do what you can and what you want. We all have different time, money, skill sets. I will never be the amazing quilter that Swedish Leo and DeniseSm are but maybe they don't do what I do. Relax and enjoy!
              sigpic

Comment

LauraP, I don’t think anyone is worried about “keeping up with the Jones’s” rather it’s about not wanting to make people feel bad by going way over board. I’m pretty sure if you send coasters and someone gives you a quilt in return, you will feel bad. This is a g fit exchange, people often give a price range in gift exchanges so people know about what is expected, this is a handmade exchange so it’s a little harder to figure out the range. I heard a great rule of thumb related to this. Each project should take about 3-4 hours. That’s not a hard and fast rule but is rather, a handy guideline. Some of my projects miss the mark by quite a bit, but I feel much more comfortable moving forward with that as my guideline.
                Pam

Comment

As for me, I enjoy making things that I think others will enjoy. I often use the gift as a way to learn/practice a new skill. I have a lot of time on my hands often and I like to try something challenging, I am currently working on a gift that took me 3-4 hours just to read and understand the directions- I even had to make a paper sample of some of it in order to understand how it will go together. I do not expect everyone to do this, I just have the time. In the 4 or 5 years I have done SS I have never been disappointed.
                  One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

I have to eat my words. I started on a project today that I thought would take me about 4 hours.....I’m 2 hours into it and haven’t started any of the stitching yet! Lol
                    Pam

Comment

Last year my SS was overseas so I curtained my projects a little just because of the cost of shipping. It will be different this year having my SS in North America.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Well Carlie Wolf I can say I was the lucky recipient of your roll up-storage bag. The fabric was so cute and each zipper pocket was a different color with some surprise items in one of the pockets. I love it. I was thinking since my last post that maybe one month's gift is cute but small and then another month's gift took more time and a bit more expense. That happened to me where I made a large carry tote for carrying your quilt and then a smaller item for another month. It all equals out.

Comment

I admit sometimes I go a little over on some projects. I get all these ideas and they just take off some times. I have received some beautiful gifts in the past SS and I have loved them all. I have never thought that one person's gift was better then another. Each person did something they thought I would like and made something special. I try to think I things that I thought everyone could use all the time. Looking forward to more beautiful and creative gits to come my way. You all do a terrific job and don't you forget it.

0 Thanks

Comment

Secret Santa 2019

About this Group

Membership is now closed for 2019.

We had a lot of fun with the Secret Santa 2018 group last year. A lot of happy people received beautiful handmade gifts from their Secret Santa's. Each person made and received 12 gifts at Christmas that were made throughout the year, one a month based on a given theme. We learned new things, challenged our skills in a non-stressful way and got "down and dirty" creative. Plus at the end of the year we get 12 great gifts for Christmas!

This group is a commitment as you are signing on to create 12 gifts during the year. They can be smaller projects so any challenge is not overly difficult. Choose whatever difficulty you are comfortable with. You may also, twice a year, swap out the named theme for one of your own choosing. You may also purchase rather than hand make 3 items during the year.

If you would like to join please "subscribe", "join". Read the Rules in the discussion section and sign. You will receive a questionaire from the mod
                          Type: Public
                          Topics: 129
                          Comments: 885

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X