No announcement yet.

Secret Santa 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me try to clarify a little confusion :-)

I guess I missed something here, I've been dealing with a furnace that's been misbehaving (I think it's possessed when temps go to 15 and below) for almost two weeks now, having to move around to the warmer rooms and all, so my schedules have been way off.

Ok, a little history. People who have done several Secret Santa years can probably recall that we did not get our Secret Santa recipient names until around October. So really only a few gifts were tailored to who your Secret pal was. Many of us wished we could get the names sooner so we could try to tailor more gifts for them. We basically made things that we thought were nice and that we thought someone else would appreciate. It's helpful if we know the likes and dislikes of people in the group. Sometimes we'll see something and say to ourselves "Oh I bet she/he would love that". But all the time? No, you'd go crazy. Also not all in the group said much about their likes in the questionaire we put out.

I liked that I saw other questions that weren't on the list asked in this years discussion group. I think it facilitates ideas and just overall makes it a more fun and livelier Group.

I think it would be impossible and very stressful if everyone thought that each gift had to be based on your pal's likes and dislikes. We have always liked it all. As a matter of fact, I believe I recall a discussion in the past concerning what if the recipient can't use a particular gift (and I can't remember the reason) but the consensus was pretty much "Hey come on guys, we love everything because it's all made with love". You can always re-gift that to a friend of yours who will love it although I don't believe that has happened very often :-)

So, for the first three months gifts make something that you like and enjoy doing. Pick four of the themes that speak to your creativity and your recipient will just love it. We like to see "your" creativity not just our own.

If anyone starts feeling stressed let me know, that's what I'm here for :-)
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Well said!

I love seeing what everyone has done. It gives me ideas and sparks my creativity. This group is such a supportive and caring group of makers. Everything is made with love and skill. It's given in the true spirit of Christmas.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I am feeling a lot less stressed at this point than I was a month ago. My schedule is working out and even with a major move planned for early summer, I am confident I will be able to meet all of the deadlines. One reason is my decision to to make more smaller items than I did last year. I will be making the smaller items before the June deadline. I will still make a couple of larger wall hangings or lap quilts this year, but I will wait till after the move to do them.

I am enjoying the extra questions asked and the conversations started with them. Lets keep asking additional questions, especially ones that help the creative juices to flow.

Comment

Thanks, Carlie!

As a case in point, last year I received a lovely zipper pouch with Tinkerbelle embroidered on it. It was adorable. And my niece fell in love with it and of course I gifted it to her! Incident value the gift any less because I have it away. On the contrary, it was even more special that my swap partner brought so much joy to one of my favorite people.

So, as Carlie said, make what makes you happy. You will certainly delight your partner, and if there's something you can personalize that's great too but it's not required and definitely nothing to stress over

Comment

I am one of those who hasn't filled out the questionnaire yet. Now that things have settled down, I promise to do it. Yes, Noel, I remember when we didn't get the names of our SS until late in the year. I like getting it earlier but I still work on gifts before I know who it is. All gifts are appreciated even if they aren't tailored to specific needs, likes etc. Don't stress. We will all be very appreciative of anything you spent thought and time making.
          Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

I have enjoyed receiving and using everything I have received over the past two years in SS and am sure I will enjoy whatever I receive this year. It doesn't matter if it is "tailored" to me or not. It's the thought that counts!!

Nancy

Comment

I agree with Beth.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I've enjoyed all the items I have received in the last two SS exchanges. My excitement came when I opened a gift and the surprise of fabric used besides the idea of the item. I liked the use of fabric my SS used as seeing things through her eyes. I think we have a tendency to always pick a certain fabric and receiving another view was enlightening to me. I was like oh those fabrics really looks good together. Helps me think out of the box and not so matchy-matchy.

Comment

Secret Santa 2019

About this Group

Membership is now closed for 2019.

We had a lot of fun with the Secret Santa 2018 group last year. A lot of happy people received beautiful handmade gifts from their Secret Santa's. Each person made and received 12 gifts at Christmas that were made throughout the year, one a month based on a given theme. We learned new things, challenged our skills in a non-stressful way and got "down and dirty" creative. Plus at the end of the year we get 12 great gifts for Christmas!

This group is a commitment as you are signing on to create 12 gifts during the year. They can be smaller projects so any challenge is not overly difficult. Choose whatever difficulty you are comfortable with. You may also, twice a year, swap out the named theme for one of your own choosing. You may also purchase rather than hand make 3 items during the year.

If you would like to join please "subscribe", "join". Read the Rules in the discussion section and sign. You will receive a questionaire from the mod
                Type: Public
                Topics: 129
                Comments: 885

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X