Secret Santa 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you drink?

Or maybe more specifically do you mind alcohol themed objects.. I am thinking wine tea towels, beer material placemats, "it's 5 o'clock somewhere" wall hangings. I would hate to send something that might offend someone.
    For the record I am physically unable to drink any grain alcohol and can't stand wine so I usually just say I don't drink. However, I adore the theme and have different objects with a wine theme. My DH is a winer, yes and at times a whiner.
    sigpic

My husband likes beer and also drinks scotch although I don’t really care for alcohol myself. I don’t mind alcohol themed things though.
    Pam

Comment

I do hear quite a few quilters in the forum mentioning they enjoy a drink now and then :-) If you person doesn't care for drinking I'd bet they have some friends that do and they can "gift" it to them on their birthday or such.
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Not a drinker -- never have been -- just don't like the taste of it. Not sure how I would fit wine, beer, etc. materials into my decor.

Nancy

Comment

I'm not much of a drinker - a six pack of beer will last me a year before I throw out the last two or three bottles LOL, but that doesn't mean I'm apposed to alcoholic beverages, and I do have family/friends who would appreciate a gift such as mentioned.

Comment

I think it's fun to have wine/beer related items to use when we entertain.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I specifically do not drink beverages with alcohol. The smell makes me ill. Now I do have family and friends who do drink, but most would not use items like those mentioned above.
              I try very hard not to be offended by things. Items depicting the growing of grapes and production of juice, wines and beers, will not bother me. Bottle holders can be re purposed for nonalcoholic drinks like water and sparkling ciders and juices.

Comment

I will try my best to not offend my SS with a gift but I hope everyone in the swap understands that they may get a gift that although may not be their particular taste I am sure the gift giver had thoughts that someone would enjoy and they did their best to make a welcomed present. I am reminded of my SIL who (when my mother asked for Christmas suggestions) sent a detailed list which included exact items- colors, sizes even item numbers and prices of the things she wanted. That took all the fun and excitement out of the gift giving process. I for one like to be surprised and appreciate it when thought goes into a gift I receive. I have been pleasantly surprised by the SS gifts I have gotten in the past and appreciate the time the giver spent making each gift. So, go for it girls, try something new, make what makes you feel comfortable, throw something new my way, it may not be my particular taste but I will appreciate it! If we have some men in the group and I missed it, please forgive my oversight.

Beth
                Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

Thank you all!
                  sigpic

Comment

Caroline, I might have one beer a year...in the summertime. But don't toss them out. There are some good recipes you can use it with. I had one pot roast recipe with beer in it and it was very good. Also it's good in what I call Beer Bread. Get a nice round loaf of bread (bakery is best), cut a hole in the center and cube the pieces you took out, place them around the dish you put the bread on. Get some cheddar cheese, cut in cubes and dust with flower. Add a can of beer to a medium sized pot, bring it up to simmer, plunk in the cheese and melt it. When it gets to a nice consistency pour it in the hole you cut out in the bread. Dip bread pieces in and enjoy. Add some herbs or spices to it if you want. Good with a salad.
                    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

We don’t drink alcohol, just personal preference, and negative family connections. I am so grateful to be a part of this exchange, though. I can understand why you asked - we all want to give gifts that our SS will enjoy. I just have to trust that my best effort will be good enough, as past participants have assured in previous posts.
                      sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

I'm not a beer drinker but enjoy wine, and flavored vodka with water. I enjoy posts like this as it allows me to get to know my SS better. Thanks for asking.
                        Robin
                        My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

Not opposed to alcohol or items with bottles/glasses, etc.
                          My preferences run more towards mixed drinks, as I cut them with soda etc. I prefer my drinks to the sweet side.
                          I don't like beer overmuch. Some hard ciders are fine. Most red wines make my head stuffy, but the white or rose don't seem to bother me.
                          I'm sure we all are trying to do our best to make sure our gift recipient will be happy with what we make.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel
                          because those who mind don't matter,
                          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I drink alcohol occasionally. In fact, now that you mention it, I think I'll have a bit of Bailey's in my coffee this morning! I forget I have a few bottles of liquor in the kitchen LOL I keep whiskey on hand for hot toddys- best thing for a cold! And Baikeys and Kahlua for coffee. I enjoy beer & wine occasionally as well.

Comment

I like a nice glass of wine. Not much on beer or mixed drinks. I do occasionally have a little after dinner drink when we are out like Chambourd or a little Anisette or something with Bailey's or Kahlua. I wouldn't be offended by something related to drinking. In fact, I have a yard flag that I put in my yard in the summer that says "It's 5 o'clock somewhere". But thanks for asking this question Laura. It helps in getting to know our secret santa's preferences and makes decisions on gifts easier.
                              Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Secret Santa 2019

About this Group

Membership is now closed for 2019.

We had a lot of fun with the Secret Santa 2018 group last year. A lot of happy people received beautiful handmade gifts from their Secret Santa's. Each person made and received 12 gifts at Christmas that were made throughout the year, one a month based on a given theme. We learned new things, challenged our skills in a non-stressful way and got "down and dirty" creative. Plus at the end of the year we get 12 great gifts for Christmas!

This group is a commitment as you are signing on to create 12 gifts during the year. They can be smaller projects so any challenge is not overly difficult. Choose whatever difficulty you are comfortable with. You may also, twice a year, swap out the named theme for one of your own choosing. You may also purchase rather than hand make 3 items during the year.

If you would like to join please "subscribe", "join". Read the Rules in the discussion section and sign. You will receive a questionaire from the mod
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 129
                              Comments: 885

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X