Secret Santa 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping costs

Good morning dear friends. I shall try and explain a little about shipping costs and maybe save you some money. This is from a Canadian's point of view.

1. Your package should be as compact as you can get. The size of the box matters. You can have the same 12 projects packed in two different boxes and the prices will be different. I suggest you visit your post office with your parcel with different boxes if that is possible.

2. If you are sending your parcel international, check early with your post office when parcels should be mailed out in order for them to receive them in time for Christmas. I shall give you an example: I had an international partner last year. Parcel was ready to mail out middle of November. Working in the post office I was able to 'play' the dimensions of my box. Another thing I discovered was that I had missed the deadline date for the cheaper rate and ensure that it was received in time for Christmas. To send regular parcel (4-12 weeks expected delivery. I learned the hard way when I had the same partner a number of years ago, sent parcel in November, it was received in February) I would have had to send it early October. And so in my case, my next best option was to go ExpressPost at a cost of $130. Yes that is what I paid to ensure that she had it in time for Christmas.

3. This is not meant to scare anyone away with shipping costs. As I said, I learned the hard way.

4. This is not to discourage any international players either. I would do it again, but knowing the shipping rules this time helps greatly.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Don't hesitate to ask if you don't understand.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Thank you for adding this Monique. It's very helpful.

If anyone else has experience in this please add your information as I'm sure it will assist others.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

So in other words:
      1. Don't procrastinate.
      2. Talk with the shippers.. postal, UPS, or FedEx when deciding on the best way to pack.
      3. lol, and don't forget this in the fall!

I think I should add this to my notes on my tablet with the Secret Santa List so I'll remember it at all!
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind as you do projects is to consider the weight of the finished item. One year I was going to do the large chicken pincushion to be used as a doorstop. So glad I switched to a smaller regular chicken pincushion because the weight would have been not good.

Sometimes Priority flat rate can be the best way to go as whatever fits, ships regardless of the weight.

Comment

Last year, I used a shipping company called "BikeFlights" to ship my box. I don't drive and was shipping inside the USA, so this was an option for me.
          Their web address is https://www.bikeflights.com/ . They are an option if your box is outside the normal sizes shipped by UPS, FedEx and the postal service. Example a box that is 22" x 33" x 12" may cost half the price than the others. They are associated with FedEx and will send you labels via email and if you request it arrange pick up at your home for a small fee.

This is a suggestion. It worked for me last year and I may use them this year too.

Comment

If we get our passports, I was thinking of taking a long weekend and making a trip into Canada. If we did that, I wonder if we could ship inside the country at a lower rate?
            Something to think about....
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Toggpine, sounds like a plan to me. Don't see why that wouldn't work for you. You could come visit if I wasn't so far away. LOL!!
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I think you are on the wrong coast for a quick trip! A weekend in British Columbia, possibly Victoria, sounds like an awesome fall vacation!
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Secret Santa 2019

About this Group

Membership is now closed for 2019.

We had a lot of fun with the Secret Santa 2018 group last year. A lot of happy people received beautiful handmade gifts from their Secret Santa's. Each person made and received 12 gifts at Christmas that were made throughout the year, one a month based on a given theme. We learned new things, challenged our skills in a non-stressful way and got "down and dirty" creative. Plus at the end of the year we get 12 great gifts for Christmas!

This group is a commitment as you are signing on to create 12 gifts during the year. They can be smaller projects so any challenge is not overly difficult. Choose whatever difficulty you are comfortable with. You may also, twice a year, swap out the named theme for one of your own choosing. You may also purchase rather than hand make 3 items during the year.

If you would like to join please "subscribe", "join". Read the Rules in the discussion section and sign. You will receive a questionaire from the mod
                Type: Public
                Topics: 129
                Comments: 885

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X