Secret Santa 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Smoke?

To me this is a very important subject. I am not allergic to smoke, in fact I am a former smoker. However I can not breath smoke, or the residual odors that are left behind due to my lung condition. I have serious COPD and am a lung cancer survivor. Even if you don't smoke where you sew, the odor and smoke permeate everything. For instance, if you smoke in your garage, it gets in to the cardboard boxes that you may use to ship in. Just last week I was near a woman for less than a minute that was smoking and had to wash my jacket because the smoke smell was so strong. I don't have anything against people that smoke, I simply can't breathe it.

For this swap it is my opinion that smokers should swap with other smokers if that is possible.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

I do not smoke and in my case smoke of any kind triggers migraines and other issues. This is the case whether it is in the air or in the clothing of someone who was recently smoking or driving in a car that carries smokers.

Comment

I am another non-smoker as is my home. But I recall one year my secret santa package arrived and was so smelly (smoke) that DH was forced to unwrap all the gifts, allow them to air out in the garage for a couple weeks, he then wrapped the gifts in clean paper for me again. Mind you, we are not sensitive to it, have no breathing/lung issues it was just smelly.

Beth
      Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

Have no fears. I always check for smokers. Have for the last two years. You'll also be happy to know that I'm the only smoker in our group. I've been careful about both pet and smoke allergies, that's why I ask about that. Also, if I'm informed of other allergies that when I pick out the Secret Santa names I pass any other allergy info that has been passed on to me.

My data base is sorted by International, Allergy Pet, Allergy Smoke, and No Allergy (and of course Smokers of which I'm the lone person). It also lists who has pets.
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I don't smoke either. Dad did when I was small, but between his chronic lung issues and my allergies he gave it up. I've never been able to be around it without the burning eyes, the nose going nuts and if I'm around it too long, the headaches start.

Needless to say, it was horrible going through my aunts rented house. I finally told the owners, you can keep all of the furniture... rent it to another smoker. I just couldn't handle being in that place at all.
          Katrina
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Carlie, please double check my questionare (or maybe you just haven't gotten to mine yet), I too am a smoker. Although I smoke, I certainly can appreciate non-smokers concerns and sensitivities.

Comment

I am an ex-smoker and have been smoke free for 11 years now. I don't allow anyone to smoke in my house. I don't like the smell and yes it permeates everything.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Yes Caroline I have you down as a smoker with pets. The database is almost up to date for 2019

I'm surprised this is even being brought up as an issue. If in the last two years anyone has had this occur to them as a result of Secret Santa gifts it is the first I've heard of it. Some of you may recall that it was brought up three or four years ago the moderator did not want the extra burden of playing smoke and pet fairy as an extra duty. I quietly changed that when I took over. Smokers are put with smokers, or lastly members who have specifically said it's not an all encompassing issue with them. This is done out of consideration of one category of members. This group is made up of non smokers and smokers. Smokers should be made to feel as welcome as non smokers. I,for one, do not feel welcome and I've gone out of my way in effort and time to make this a non issue for two years.
                https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Carlie, you are not only welcome you are deeply appreciated. Being a new member I can't say how this has been working but I can appreciate how hard it must be to keep everything straight. Thank you!
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, Carlie, thank you for taking the time and effort to deal with this issue. I am not a smoker, but my Dad was growing up. I can still remember how surprised I was by the lingering smell in my clothing the first time I went back for a visit after I married. Never noticed while living with it. I was glad to see that you also keep track of pets - I do my best, but two dogs and a cat at my house don’t think they can survive out of my presence, so my gifts should not go to someone with pet allergies.
                    sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

I wasn't aware if this had been brought up in prior years. Did not mean to ruffle any feathers...just wanted to make sure it was addressed. Smoke may not bother all non smokers, but in my case it can put me in the hospital...js

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't think any feathers were ruffled, LOL!!
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I'm a former smoker, and I get that some folks are more sensitive to it than others. I'm fine with receiving from a smoker who doesn't actively smoke while sewing (seems like that would be hard to do, lol)

Comment

Noel has done a great job of matching up swappers.
                            As someone who accidentally triggered a migraine, please let her know if you have allergies/sensitivity to something.
                            I prewash my fabrics and don't use scented detergents. We are thinking it might have been the box of color catchers. Not that they were scented, but that they lived in the aisle with all of the dryer sheets and brought the smell with them. I can only imagine what would have happened if I had included a candle or something. Yikes.

While we live on a small farm, we have no indoor pets. We do heat with a wood stove, so that could be an issue. I can't smell anything on the fabrics, but I could also be nose-blind to it.
                            I can't imagine that any of us would intentionally send items that would make people sick.
                            Be who you are and say what you feel
                            because those who mind don't matter,
                            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I agree Cathy. Noel does an amazing job of running the group. Just a reminder to let people know that if they haven't done so, they need to divulge any info like this, or allergies, and sensitivites to odors or other things. I wonder if there is a way to pin a post about such things to the top of the discussion, so that it is readily available so we don't have to search through pages of posts to find this out about fellow swappers.

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Secret Santa 2019

About this Group

Membership is now closed for 2019.

We had a lot of fun with the Secret Santa 2018 group last year. A lot of happy people received beautiful handmade gifts from their Secret Santa's. Each person made and received 12 gifts at Christmas that were made throughout the year, one a month based on a given theme. We learned new things, challenged our skills in a non-stressful way and got "down and dirty" creative. Plus at the end of the year we get 12 great gifts for Christmas!

This group is a commitment as you are signing on to create 12 gifts during the year. They can be smaller projects so any challenge is not overly difficult. Choose whatever difficulty you are comfortable with. You may also, twice a year, swap out the named theme for one of your own choosing. You may also purchase rather than hand make 3 items during the year.

If you would like to join please "subscribe", "join". Read the Rules in the discussion section and sign. You will receive a questionaire from the mod
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 129
                              Comments: 885

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X