Secret Santa 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding theme selection

A question came up regarding selection of themes for our Secret Santa group. While the selection, I think would have been a lot of fun for our members, it did not involve sewing/quilting. The member and myself decided to go for a "safer" theme in the sewing/quilting category.

But I wanted to get feedback on this issue for the future. The theme suggested was Cookie Recipes because so many of us make cookies for the holidays. It would have involved sharing a cookie recipe and a batch of them or the ingredients to go with the recipe.

What do you think?
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

The sharing of a favorite recipe is fine but I don't think including a batch or the ingredients would go over. Some quilters don't like pets or smoke on their fabrics I'm sure the same would apply to their food. I have a BIL and has convinced his wife not to eat at a home that has pets. It's been a strain in our family for years. They now won't even go to that house. I get wanting to do something different . Also some people have food allergies like nuts, gluten, etc.

Comment

I think that in the future, if we a) know who our secret santa is and b) already have the allergy information, that food items like cookies would be ok. That having been said, I don't think it's fair to force people to make a specific type of item. So for example, a theme of "cookies" would be better, as it would allow people who don't bake or who have secret santas with too many dietary requirements to make a cookie-themed table runner or something.

More to the point, I'm rather disappointed that 3 of the 4 remaining months are of the make-a-specific-item type instead of make-something-using-this-theme. :/

Comment

I live in Italy and for what I know I shouldn't send food to US or it's very restricted, so it wouldn't be easy to send the actual ingredient.

But I would have loved to share a recipe and maybe some cute cookie cutters or something cookie related

But others raised a good point: a lot of people are either allergic or don't like something (I cannot stand the taste of coconut except the fresh one)
        My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

I personally enjoy the challenge of getting a "theme" to work with, it is sometimes difficult to come up with a project but I like the challenge. Cookies as a theme sounds fun or maybe even sweets. I recall all those home-made treats I received as a teacher that ended up in the trash.
          Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

midnight, I see no reason why, if you wanted, you couldn't make something. i.e. using ornaments in a fabric to make a project (Oct) or like Dec Warm and Cozy could be many types of things. (btw, that was just me re ornaments for the tree as potential suggestion but I'd certainly think wreaths would also work. Mini quilts and hot place mats are a bit more restrictive but not so much when you realize that you can change out any two themes with what ever you would like to do :-)
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Warm and cozy is a theme. True, ornaments could be a theme (something that occurred to me after I posted) and don't have to be an actual ornament. The other two are more projects than themes, though.

The reason I prefer themes over project categories is that themes provide inspiration. I guess it's just me though. I'll figure something out.

Comment

I don't think sending food items is a good idea. I think most would likely be trashed. I have to agree that themes are better than specific projects. I have tried to be creative & try to make items that I normally wouldn't make. That way it has been a learning experience for me.

Comment

I'm thinking you are right Midnight. In the past I don't know that we did have themes as projects. In retrospect it does kind of take the surprise out of what a gift will be although this year I did get to try things that I wouldn't normally try. And I did enjoy them, particularly the "basket" one, never thought I could do that and then I made several! Looking over the past themes of this year I can pick out three that were more the project category. I thought I'd have a problem with the Mini Quilt one but then two days in I thought of something that just fit the bill and I can't wait to start it. (Granted I've known who my recipient is for quite a while though and this seems to just fit the bill of something I had wanted to squeeze in there and couldn't figure out how to do it LOL)

I think it bears further discussion and certainly can be changed next year based on the feedback of what the majority would like to see.

Comment

As an aside, if there -are- people interested in a cookie exchange, why not create a cookie exchange group?

Comment

I would love to do a cookie exchange, but, like Juliet Taylor indicated, for those of us outside the U.S., it is not feasible to send food products internationally. An exchange of recipes would be fun, and we could include some in our Secret Santa package, done up on pretty paper or even made up into a little booklet with a quilted cover. The possibilities are probably endless.
                      On the original theme of this thread, I like the mix of themes and projects in the selections this year. The themes allow you to make something you might never have made before, and expand your knowledge of the craft, while the projects let you focus on fabric selection and a specific pattern.
                      Peggiep
                      "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)

Comment

I know that some themes/projects are more difficult than others. Example: Christmas ornaments--there are some of us who may not celebrate Christmas or if they do they don't put up trees as they travel to visit a family member or even take cruises. Same with something like hot plate pads. Some of us don't cook or have coordinating kitchen items. All of that being said, think in terms of it is a gift that you are given and may do as you wish with it. Gifts can be regifted, donated to a shelter/resale shop, etc. I, in fact, have regifted things I have been given many times. I gave one to a very dear friend and she was thrilled as she doesn't sew and was very appreciative that I give her a hand made item. I even told her where it came from and she just laughed and said you are a very thrifty gal. LOL2. As I have always been told 'when you get lemons, make lemonade'.

Comment

One year I received a jar of homemade salsa that my Santa made. It posed several major questions for me.
                          Was the food properly canned and safe to eat? (High acid food and the seal was tight.)
                          How spicy was that stuff?
                          It turned out to be just fine and at the end of Mild where you can tell there are jalapeños, but not feel the burn.
                          I can totally see both sides of this. I'd love to share some of my fresh cheeses or jams made from fruits right off our farm, but most of you don't know me well enough to trust my kitchen sanitation, and I don't blame you for that.
                          I'd say if you left that kind of theme as a general "cookies or sweets" there are a number of ways to approach that, even suggesting that we enclose a favorite recipe with that month's gift, most of us could work with that.
                          (I savored the bag of chocolate truffles I received in one of my boxes for three months, even though I wanted to sit with a good book and scarf them all right away!)
                          Be who you are and say what you feel
                          because those who mind don't matter,
                          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Secret Santa 2017

About this Group

This is the 2017 Secret Santa M* Secret Santa Gift Swap. This is a year long, monthly themed event.

We have a lot of fun doing this every year. So come and join in on the fun.You may view the Gallery and Discussions by "joining" the Group. This Group will remain open for the remainer of 2017. For next years Secret Santa please join Secret Santa 2018.
                          Type: Public
                          Topics: 118
                          Comments: 1102

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X