Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notions

Do you have a favorite sewing gadget?

Is there one you would like to try, but don't want to spend the money on, just in case you don't like it as much as you think?

Is there something that you use that isn't traditionally considered a sewing notion?

Let's see if we can generate some ideas for down the road, or incorporating into the themes.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Favorites: little floral stork scissors. Blue chaco liner. Wonder clips.

I want one, but...: Not at the moment. Santa brings some of those things for my stocking. This year I have the Tracing Discs from Singer. My next project will determine if they live, or go to the "drawer of seldom used items" to languish with others of their ilk.

Non-traditional: Probably a bamboo skewer I use as a stiletto. Sturdy, cheap, and if I hit it with a needle, it won't do as much damage as a metal one or one of those tiny crochet hooks.
    I mean, I do have an aardvark in my sewing room, but she is there more for company than anything else.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

My favourite sewing notion is: That Purple Thang.

I use it ALL the time for many different uses --- poking out points on a turned item, holding down applique shapes, as a stiletto, pulling the loop of thread up from the bobbin....I could go on and on! One of the least expensive notions out there and worth its weight in gold, imo.

Wonder clips come a close second, and I don't know what I ever did without them!

I don't think it is really non-traditional but tweezers are part of my kit that I am never without...great for tying knots on short-ends

Peggiep
      "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)

Comment

My favorite seam ripper is the Seam Fix one, I have several others but rely on this one.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

My favorite right now has to be my magnetic pin holder - I asked for another one at Xmas so I wouldnt have to keep moving it from the sewing machine to cutting table - becsuse inevitably I'd sit down at the machine & then need to pull a pin out and....no holder because it was on the table and vice versa. It's great for picking up dropped or scattered pins too.

Comment

AMG, I think my magnetic pin holder is my favorite too. I really appreciate it when I'm setting up a quilt on my quilting frame but I use it by my sewing machine too.
            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I love my Purple Thang. Handy for so many things. Keep it right with in reach at the machine.

Not my favourite notion, but the one I use most often is my seam ripper. Just an ordinary one, but not a day goes by that I don't use it, unfortunately.

Comment

I have 2 favorites , By Annie Stiletto and pressing tool and my sewline mechanical pencil. I cannot find my sewline at present , which makes me sad and means I need to clean my sewing room I hope it is there! Oh and of course my wonderclips !! Those are my Hubbies favorites. The first year I had the Highschool dancers over for group costume making, there was an incident with a round head pin getting under a chair leg and making a HUGE dent in the floor.. No needles since then.

Comment

My fave is the Little Wooden Iron - A piece of bamboo with a tapered end. Awesome for getting into tight spaces. The other thing that I can't live without are varied sizes of surgical forceps. Very handy with lots of things - especially holding tiny pieces or things where your hands don't fit or get in the way of your line of vision at the sewing machine. There are probably 1,328 other things, no doubt.... Never too many tools!

Comment

I don't know that I have a favorite notion, but if you ask my youngest DGD, she will tell you, I am a scissors junkie. She occasionally likes to 'straighten up' my sewing room. In the process, she organizes everything, and ALWAYS, counts my scissors. I always get told how many pairs I have. In my defense, I have specialty scissors for embroidery. That being said, I have several small pairs I do need to throw away.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

When all else fails, white or black quilting thread is always a good option.

Comment

Not sure it's my favorite, but one I definitely use a lot. Seam ripper with the rubber end.

Comment

My favorite notion is the one I need at that moment and most times I have to hunt for it! But wonder clips are the notions that I use the most and love them and no more being stuck by pins.

Comment

My favorite notions are my Clover seam ripper (with the white handle) and my wonder clips - love, love, love them!!!

Comment

My favorite item is my left handed Martelli rotary cutter. My favorite non sewing item is a centering ruler. It really helps when trying to place embroidery designs on towels or baby blankets.

Comment

Secret Santa 2017

About this Group

This is the 2017 Secret Santa M* Secret Santa Gift Swap. This is a year long, monthly themed event.

We have a lot of fun doing this every year. So come and join in on the fun.You may view the Gallery and Discussions by "joining" the Group. This Group will remain open for the remainer of 2017. For next years Secret Santa please join Secret Santa 2018.
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 118
                              Comments: 1102

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X